Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shades of Grey

Feedback Score

Shades of Grey

New Build: I'm a fan of grey for rifles and tried to get as many parts as I could in some shade of grey. Those I couldn't find, I went with tan/FDE or black. The original plan was to use a Vortex Razor HD 1-6 on this, but the PA 1-6 was on sale for $174 during Black Friday weekend so I'm going to give it a go first. It's my first time using the Geissele Super 42 buffer system and it's tough to pull all the way open at first - very strong spring. I've traditionally used the Vltor A5 system, but since everything Mr Geissele makes is extremely well thought out, I figured I'd give it a try.

I still need to get BUIS at some point, but it's not a duty rifle so there is no hurry. I like the 1.93" height scope mount for upright shooting (standing, kneeling) but for traditional prone it's tough to monopod on the magazine. I haven't tried urban prone or shot a 9-hole wall yet to get a feel for unconventional shooting positions.

The Scout M600P was one I had in the safe from another rifle and gets the job done for now. I may switch to my favorite setup which is an X300U at 12 o'clock on the rail. The Scout light may interfere with offset BUIS which will be necessary since the Geissele optic mount is not a QD like the ADM's I normally use.

During the function test the gun shot EXTREMELY flat! It behaved as if it had a compensator on the muzzle. It didn't matter how quickly I worked the trigger the gun stayed in one spot. I'm not sure if it's the Super 42 spring and setup, or the 6315 hider, or a combination. I want to fiddle with different configurations later to see if I can attribute the shootability to one or a couple of parts. It's far and away my favorite rifle now. FCD does say their 6315 hider has a slightly different sizing on the ports from a regular A2 so this may contribute.

PARTS LIST

Barrel: DSG Arms, 416R Stainless, 1/8 twist, Mid-gas, 16"
    Gas Tube: Aero Precision Melonited
    Upper Receiver: ABC Rifle Company, anodized grey
    Lower Receiver: Brownells, anodized grey
    Handguard: Geissele Mk16, anodized grey
    Muzzle Device: Forward Control Design 6315
    VFG: Railscales Anchor
    BCG: Sionics Weapons NP3
    Charging Handle: Geissele Airborne
    Trigger: Geissele SD-C
    Trigger Guard: Guntec USA
    LPK: DSG Arms
    Safety/Selector: BAD-ASS
    Mag Catch Button: Seekins
    Receiver Extension: Geissele
    Buffer / Spring: Geissele Super 42 w/ H1
    Pistol Grip: B5 Systems Grip-23
    Stock: B5 Systems Bravo
    Takedown Pins: Titanium from DSG Arms
    Bolt Catch: Maritime Bolt Catch from Geissele
    Weapon Light: Surefire Scout M600P with Arisaka M-lok mount
    Sling: VTAC Padded, ALG Defense QD swivels, Arisaka QD M-lok mount
    Optic: Primary Arms 1-6X24mm SFP Rifle Scope GEN III - Illuminated ACSS 5.56 / 5.45 / .308 Reticle
    Optic Mount: Geissele 1.93" Scope mount
    Ejection Port Door: PAMAX Tacitcal
    Forward Assist: DSG Arms

Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Man, that is one ugly, but badass rifle.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    The mount and the buffer tube kill it for me haha. Great spec build man. Hopefully the DSG barrel holds up and give you a decent life span. Now we just need to step you up into some new glass down the road!

Feedback Score
    Lol! Thanks guys. I’m working another build that will be grey and black.

Furbyballer, I have 2 Swarovski Z6i 1-6 scopes. They are my go-to glass but for the price PA was selling that thing I couldn’t resist.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-E View Post
    Looking forward to it. This actually helps me a lot. I've wanted to do a sort of Grey/Urban colour scheme and I was trying to figure out how to approach. Thanks for the ideas!
    Sure! The grey/black rifle will take a while though. Gotta wait on a stamp. Lol!
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Good looking rifle. That scope is HIGH!
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 01-15-19 at 08:08.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Good looking rifle. That scope is HIGH!
    Thanks! They actually have a taller mount. Not sure who the intended customers are. I don’t have a pro mask to see if this one is good or needs something even higher.

Feedback Score
    I like all the different shades of gray and tans. I don't know what it is but I really like mismatched colors on most rifles. Kind of like anything is better than black but I don't care if any of it matches. Better if it doesn't match.

I wasn't aware that Geissele made a tan buffer tube. That's really cool. Maybe I'll use one on my next rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    During the function test the gun shot EXTREMELY flat! It behaved as if it had a compensator on the muzzle. It didn't matter how quickly I worked the trigger the gun stayed in one spot. I'm not sure if it's the Super 42 spring and setup, or the 6315 hider, or a combination. I want to fiddle with different configurations later to see if I can attribute the shootability to one or a couple of parts. It's far and away my favorite rifle now. FCD does say their 6315 hider has a slightly different sizing on the ports from a regular A2 so this may contribute.
    This has me intrigued. My 3gun race gun with rifle gas, a Rolling Thunder comp and lightened BCG never "felt" as flat as I wanted it too. Please report back if you figure out the magic.

Edit to add: Forgot to mention that I think its a good looking build. Scope is a bit high though, but nice!
    Last edited by shadowrider; 01-17-19 at 23:30.

Feedback Score
    Great looking rifle.

I’ve been looking at these ABC rifle gray uppers. Was thinking it would be neat to make a “what-if” gray M16A4 using one of the H&R A1 lowers and this upper.
    Is that brownells gray a Blem, or are the ABC uppers really that much lighter? What do you think of the finish overall and compared to the old colt gray?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast