Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Target Identification at Night

Feedback Score

Target Identification at Night

I have a Streamlight Pro-Tac, 350 lumens. I got if for HD, indoors. It works fine in that role. I have never tried it outside.

Here is my issue: It is not identifying the point of aim, a red dot or the See All Nite Sight or even irons illuminated with my current light do that fine. What about outdoors, at some distance, where someone is rattling around in an out building, or the chicken coop or with my car parked outside or home invaders just skulking around---is that light enough?

My biggest fear is not shooting someone. It is not getting shot myself. My biggest fear is shooting the wrong person. This could be a family member arriving after a cross country trip in the middle of the night, a neighbor looking for his dog, or even my wife---remember the Blade Runner shooting where his girlfriend woke up and went into the bathroom and then and only then did the Blade Runner wake up and think she was an intruder---what a nightmare.

All the red dots in the world are not going to help me with identification. Night vision goggles, and night vision expense are out.

What is the real identification range of some lights out there? Is my current white light enough? If not, what do you recommend?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    You haven't tried it outside? Like walking out your door during any point of the six-eight hours of darkness every single day, just to shine it around and check? Your situation is going to be unique to you - no one has the same house and property so no one can really say if it'll work from your house to the chicken coop. That being said, the easy (but not cheap) answer is to just get the best "distance" light there is, which IMO, is a SureFire DF model.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I guess it depends on where you live, your size of your property and the laws in your state. Anything outside and I'll just call the cops. Outside my house is not an immediate threat to me

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Will you have the light attached to a firearm?
    Last edited by T2C; 01-14-19 at 14:50.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Yes, the light is attached to the AR.
    A "distance" light is what I was asking about, thanks, I'll check out the SureFire DF.
    Calling the cops at my summer cabin would be 1-2 hour wait.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have an old P60 with a Malkoff 450 lumen head in it on a rifle with iron sights and I can tell you making hits at 50 yards with it is as easy as shooting in the daytime. And shooting steel at night is fun.....
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    I have an old P60 with a Malkoff 450 lumen head in it on a rifle with iron sights and I can tell you making hits at 50 yards with it is as easy as shooting in the daytime. And shooting steel at night is fun.....
    Target ID and making hits aren't the same thing though.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Target ID and making hits aren't the same thing though.
    Ok, I can clearly ID the target prior to making hits on it.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Go out and look around is the best advice. No matter what you get though, the range you can see will vary with conditions. Moonlight, porch lights, fog, rain, humidity, and other stuff will cut down on how far the light will help you see.

If using a red dot, keep the intensity up a bit. If you have it dimmed down to negate bloom in low light the dot may wash out when you hit the light.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Go out and look around is the best advice. No matter what you get though, the range you can see will vary with conditions. Moonlight, porch lights, fog, rain, humidity, and other stuff will cut down on how far the light will help you see.

If using a red dot, keep the intensity up a bit. If you have it dimmed down to negate bloom in low light the dot may wash out when you hit the light.
    I took it out on the porch and shined it around a bit in the dark. The identifiable range, that range that I could positively ID who that person was if I knew them, is about 30 yards with this light. I don't think that is enough.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast