Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Target Identification at Night

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I took it out on the porch and shined it around a bit in the dark. The identifiable range, that range that I could positively ID who that person was if I knew them, is about 30 yards with this light. I don't think that is enough.
    Didn't think of this earlier due to the focus on How far the beam is shining. How far away can you id someone in daylight?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...MAH3HK0bn1y7aP

The mother of all links there is supposed to go to a .pdf file. If that fails it came from a Google search for:

2004 study “Why is it easier to identify someone close than far away?”

And should be hit #1.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not sure the id face with the naked eye at 100 yards is exactly the level of id that is needed for your scenario since it sounds more like a distance to target estimation, but good info never the less.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Not sure the id face with the naked eye at 100 yards is exactly the level of id that is needed for your scenario since it sounds more like a distance to target estimation, but good info never the less.

This is an excellent video. I saw it sometime back and practice on dog walk's at the lake shore where people can be seen coming long distances away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Didn't think of this earlier due to the focus on How far the beam is shining. How far away can you id someone in daylight?
    Well, that matters of course. Family and friends "look" a certain way and move in a recognizable way. They also dress in a way with which I am familiar. Now, I am not just talking for myself here, I think we all understand these things. But, some someone I do not recognize has a gun or a rifle and is attempting to evade the light, well, the grand jury indites that one. John Shrek is talking 100 yards for facial recognition but he is talking daylight. At night, it would be great to be able to shine a light on someone at 200 yards and see weapons in their hands----or am I dreaming?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Using a light, I doubt you could discern a pistol at that distance and not real sure about a rifle. And even less sure on being able to judge if they are a threat justifying shooting them short of seeing muzzle flash.

That is getting over in to the details of some of the recent police shooting homeowner incidents where the officers involved got major get out of jail free cards (at least so far) that you aren't likely to get.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Well, that matters of course. Family and friends "look" a certain way and move in a recognizable way. They also dress in a way with which I am familiar. Now, I am not just talking for myself here, I think we all understand these things. But, some someone I do not recognize has a gun or a rifle and is attempting to evade the light, well, the grand jury indites that one. John Shrek is talking 100 yards for facial recognition but he is talking daylight. At night, it would be great to be able to shine a light on someone at 200 yards and see weapons in their hands----or am I dreaming?
    If you might need to use this weapon light in the house, don't get carried away imagining how you might use it outdoors. Really powerful lights, light colored walls and confined spaces do bad things to night-adapted eyes.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCleanOK View Post
    If you might need to use this weapon light in the house, don't get carried away imagining how you might use it outdoors. Really powerful lights, light colored walls and confined spaces do bad things to night-adapted eyes.
    There are a lot of highly qualified people trying to dispel that as internet rumor you know. That and advocating a proper technique for avoiding what consequence there may be.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Being able to get enough photons at 200 yards to see a rifle is much more difficult than most people expect. It generally requires 3 plus lux on target to be able to identify it. A Malkoff Hound Dog and Elzetta Charlie with AVS Head, which are going to throw MUCH better than even a 1100 lumen ProTac HL3, only deliver 2.7 and 1.97 lux on target respectively.....at 100 yards.

Most manufacturers specify the throw distance of their lights as the distance at which the lux is a basically useless .25 lux.

What's the furthest distance at which you need to positively ID a person?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    There are a lot of highly qualified people trying to dispel that as internet rumor you know. That and advocating a proper technique for avoiding what consequence there may be.
    Thanks for informing me. I’ll tell my eyeballs to stop being pussies so I can start using brighter weapon lights indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast