Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Target Identification at Night

Feedback Score
    Pistol and rifle lights have different purposes for target ID at different distances. I run X300U (1000 lumen) and a M600DF(1500 lumen) at home and at work. I also have 800 and 1000 lumen lights for patrol work on my person. You won't blind yourself indoors.

All of the light, you are trying to replace the sun. Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics has some great videos on low light work that will help out. I teach my Explorers some of this stuff for handheld light use. Here is a good starting point.

Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCleanOK View Post
    Thanks for informing me. I’ll tell my eyeballs to stop being pussies so I can start using brighter weapon lights indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I use an 1,100 lumen light on my primary work gun and quite a few other guys are running 500+. Generally, we turn the lights on as the door is getting breached and leave them on while doing the primary search. No one has any issues with “wash-out” as long as they don’t ride their sights while searching. It can be painful if you get behind the sights on a light colored wall or mirror.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you want ID at longer distances, the spec you need to look at is lux or candela. Lumens are just total output of the led, lux and candela is how it is focused and how far it travels.

A light like the Surefire 600DF is rated at 16,000 candela if using a 18650 and even less (12,800) if using cr123a's. This might be great for some people but 16,000 isn't going to get you much distance at all. I know everyone likes and knows Surefire, but their performance/price curve is poor. There are many other lights using the same battery that will put them to shame.

A factory Eagtac S200C2 is rated at 39,000 lux. http://www.eagletac.com/html/s200c2/specs.html

The new Olight Warrior X is rated at 78,400 lux. https://olightworld.com/olight-warrior-x

Sure the Surefire's are reliable and very well made, but the competition has caught up and passed them in most cases and are very reliable themselves. Olights CS is awesome too. I had a small single cr123 light wig out on me a few years back and they said send it the RMA form and the light...they sent me the new upgraded model for nothing.

I can't tell you about Eagtac CS because I have never had to deal with them yet.

I own a modified S200C2 for my rifle. It is rated at about 158,000 candela. The current model he is selling with the new Olson Black led and his new programmable driver is rated at 225,000 candela. A whole new flashlight world exists that most don't even know about.

https://skylumen.com/collections/v54...c2vn-need-spec
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 01-16-19 at 16:05.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I didn't realize that Vihn had updated his version of the S200. I still haven't bought mine yet.....will happen before the Spring.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    I didn't realize that Vihn had updated his version of the S200. I still haven't bought mine yet.....will happen before the Spring.
    You will love it. I am debating whether to send mine back to him and have him update it or just buy a second one.

Feedback Score
    I have been looking at weapon's lights. The Chinese make 1000 lumen plus lights but they never talk about them as weapons light. So they are probably not. I have a Streamlight now and this looks like a this is a decent upgrade for the money.

https://www.galls.com/streamlight-pr...iABEgIBh_D_BwE

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You are correct. The S200C2vn light that was mentioned is highly modified with a custom driver, and likely improved wiring. Upon request, the guy doing the modification will also apply potting material to improve the light's durability.

If you only need to be able to see 50 yards, then this extreme level of performance is totally unnecessary. If you provide a needed distance, then proper suggestions can be made.

I have many weapon mounted lights, and they are Malkoff, Elzetta, and Surefire.....not stock Chinese made lights intended for handheld use. I don't see anything on the ProTac HL-X product page to indicate that it's intended for mounted use.

An Arisaka 600 series body with an E2ST head will likely accomplish what's needed while being small and light weight.
    Last edited by grizzman; 01-16-19 at 19:40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I have been looking at weapon's lights. The Chinese make 1000 lumen plus lights but they never talk about them as weapons light. So they are probably not. I have a Streamlight now and this looks like a this is a decent upgrade for the money.

https://www.galls.com/streamlight-pr...iABEgIBh_D_BwE
    In some cases you are right, but the Warrior X that I linked above was meant as a weapon light. They even put it through a torture drop test of dropping it 1200 times at different angles to test its durability.

As far as the modded light I linked, it is modded by Vinh for extra durability as a weapon light.

Shoot...my old Klarus XT11 was dropped numerous times from above drop ceiling heights and survived just fine. What finally did it in was a drop from a 40' boom lift onto concrete onto its tailcap which turned it on. It must have cracked a solder joint because after a month it started working intermittently. Any light surviving a drop like that is far beyond life expectancy. They weren't weapon rated either.

I find it hilarious that just because something is made in China, some people in the US don't even consider it. Sure they make cheap knock offs of stuff, but if QC standards are set and demanded, they can make good stuff too. It is that way in the knife community also. You can get great quality knives from Kizer and other quality Chinese knife makers for half the price of what you would buy in the US and they are as good or better than their counterparts.

IMHO this mindset is narrow and sells yourself short of good deals.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 01-16-19 at 20:19.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I personally didn't follow the link to the Warrior X product page, and the magnetic pressure switch idea is one I've not seen before.

I would have no hesitation to use an Olight, or any other highly regarded manufacturer's weapon light, on a weapon. I also wouldn't run a USA made handheld light one a weapon, if it wasn't intended to be mounted....including stock Surefires. I used to run 6Ps with Makoff drop-ins and Oveready McClicky switch kits. I'd still do this today without hesitation.
    Last edited by grizzman; 01-16-19 at 20:34.

Feedback Score
    You guys are right about the Olight Warrior, that magnetic charging is so cool as to be worth the difference between it and the Streamlight I referenced for about $75.00. The Olight Warrior is about $100.00 which is still nothing compared to Surefire's 1000 lumen light at $299.00. Charging your own batteries would save some money towards the price differential too.

https://olightworld.com/olight-m2r-warrior

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast