Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Target Identification at Night

Feedback Score
    This is the Olight M2T Warrior which is slightly smaller and is lighter than the M2R. On the other hand it does not come with magnetic charging but the over two oz. difference and the $69.99 price make it attractive. Are you guys positive these Olight Warriors are weapons lights?

https://olightworld.com/olight-m2t-warrior

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not all Olight Warriors appear to be intended for weapon mounted use. An indicator for the X is the pressure switch, which is only used if it's mounted on a, yep that's right, a weapon.

Their user interface, which changes modes via different tailcap button presses, isn't what I'd call ideal for a tactical light...handheld or mounted. Both the M2R and M2T have significantly smaller diameter and shorter reflectors. Their reflectors also have a light orange peel (LOP) texture to the reflector, while the X's reflector is smooth. All of these differences reduce the light's ability to focus the photons for longer distance use.

So, what's your maximum illumination distance? I'm not going to ask again.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Sure the Surefire's are reliable and very well made, but the competition has caught up and passed them in most cases and are very reliable themselves...A whole new flashlight world exists that most don't even know about.
    Good, informative post.

The consumer in me wants to believe that, but a large part of why Sure Fire is so trusted and highly regarded by professional end users is their reliability and durability under demanding conditions. It's also why I settled on Sure Fire before I retired from carrying guns for a living. Now, I work Search and Rescue in an alpine/foothills environment without anyone shooting at me anymore, but I still decided on Sure Fire for reliable, dual setting hand held lights.

I'm liking what I'm seeing from Olight, but I wouldn't bet my life on their products...yet. Could that change? Of course, but it will take proving, time and user testimony from professional operators across various field conditions. I like it when a company will readily replace a faulty product with a new one, or the updated version, but I like it a lot more when I don't need to rely on that warranty because the light continues to work as designed, and per specs with no surprises.
    Where violence is the local language, be fluent.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post

So, what's your maximum illumination distance? I'm not going to ask again.
    Are you asking me? Isn't asking that a bit like asking, how far do you want to be able to shoot? The answer is always going to be the longer the better.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You stated in post 10 that your existing light is able to illuminate objects within 30 yards, and that that isn't far enough. A light has already been recommended that will adequately illuminate someone that's almost 300 meters away....but that's not at all appropriate if the furthest distance on your property (or that you're likely to need to positively ID a threat) is 50 yards away. Do you actually want recommendations based on your needs, or should we just continue guessing at what is appropriate?

Here's a link to a calculator that you can use to determine how many candela (cd) is necessary to illuminate an object at a known distance to a known lux level. You can use 3 or 4 as the lux level to start.....since we have no idea how much ambient light exists on your property.https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/lig...alculator.html
    Last edited by grizzman; 01-17-19 at 13:14.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatEgan View Post
    Good, informative post.

The consumer in me wants to believe that, but a large part of why Sure Fire is so trusted and highly regarded by professional end users is their reliability and durability under demanding conditions. It's also why I settled on Sure Fire before I retired from carrying guns for a living. Now, I work Search and Rescue in an alpine/foothills environment without anyone shooting at me anymore, but I still decided on Sure Fire for reliable, dual setting hand held lights.

I'm liking what I'm seeing from Olight, but I wouldn't bet my life on their products...yet. Could that change? Of course, but it will take proving, time and user testimony from professional operators across various field conditions. I like it when a company will readily replace a faulty product with a new one, or the updated version, but I like it a lot more when I don't need to rely on that warranty because the light continues to work as designed, and per specs with no surprises.
    The only way to find out is to get one and test it for yourself. Keep the SF with you on S&R missions if it makes you feel better but SF fail too.

You could also join candlepower forums and ask the question for yourself there. There are pros there that also do S&R and I will bet the majority do not use SF. There are too many better options out there. I'm not sure what format of light you use , but state your req's in the question in the CF forum. You will get good recommendations and users with experience that used them.

More than likely, depending on what your format is, you will get Fenix, Nitecore, Xstar, Olight, Acebeam and a bunch of other options. Some will have modified lights from Vinh (Sky Lumen) or others. Since you don't mind spending the money on SF, you could go all out and get a ridiculous light from Vinh that would absolutely blow you away like this:

His best current Searchlight thrower 640,000 Lux:
    https://skylumen.com/collections/v54...hlight-thrower

Check them out and ask...it won't hurt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    You stated in post 10 that your existing light is able to illuminate objects within 30 yards, and that that isn't far enough. A light has already been recommended that will adequately illuminate someone that's almost 300 meters away....but that's not at all appropriate if the furthest distance on your property (or that you're likely to need to positively ID a threat) is 50 yards away. Do you actually want recommendations based on your needs, or should we just continue guessing at what is appropriate?

Here's a link to a calculator that you can use to determine how many candela (cd) is necessary to illuminate an object at a known distance to a known lux level. You can use 3 or 4 as the lux level to start.....since we have no idea how much ambient light exists on your property.https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/lig...alculator.html
    I honestly don't know what you are talking about. Evidently, you think I want to fix limitations on my range. No, I do not. I just want more range, as much range as I can afford and be within a reasonable weight for carrying on the rifle. But thanks for the candela to lux calculator. This is useful.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Target Identification at Night

Of course SF lights can fail, anything can. $550 is well beyond what I will spend on any light, especially something that will take up that much space in a pack. Thanks for the CPF suggestions, I joined but only lurk and learn.

IPX ratings are something else that matters (to me), but I don’t hear many users talk about it. My experience with SF lights has been that they still know how to innovate, and they enjoy good resale value for the secondary market. My SAR lights are modded to take 18650s, which is something I’m enjoying seeing from other light makers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PatEgan; 01-17-19 at 17:41.
    Where violence is the local language, be fluent.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatEgan View Post
    Of course SF lights can fail, anything can. $550 is well beyond what I will spend on any light, especially something that will take up that much space in a pack. Thanks for the CPF suggestions, I joined but only lurk and learn.

IPX ratings are something else that matters (to me), but I don’t hear many users talk about it. My experience with SF lights has been that they still know how to innovate, and they enjoy good resale value for the secondary market. My SAR lights are modded to take 18650s, which is something I’m enjoying seeing from other light makers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yea, I just linked the mac daddy of his search light throwers. I wasn't sure what format light you carry (single 18650, dual or more 18650, multi led, etc) so I just threw one out there. If you use a single or dual 18650 light, this one is more affordable and in the realm of SF price:
    https://skylumen.com/collections/v54...-18650-thrower

Still over 600,000 lux using the Olson Black LED's. Won't get you much flood though, not sure what you need.

Most of the quality lights are rated IPX-8 nowadays. Good luck on your learning journey. Don't be shy to ask though. You should get some pretty useful responses.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 01-17-19 at 20:58.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If a recommendation is desired, there must be some determining characteristic......size, weight, price, cd, battery type, UI, etc. The original post was centered on usable throw, so that's where the thread went.

A light that will effectively illuminate a group of people 250 yards away makes a damn poor choice if this group is 10 yards away....or in your living room. A light that's perfect for illuminating a front yard to a distance of 15 yards isn't gonna do squat if the target is 150 yards away.

Good luck in your search for one light to cover all circumstances that may possibly occur.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast