Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Target Identification at Night

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    A Streamlight HLX? That thing is rated at 27,600 cd. Sure it's better than the SF DF...but still abysmal in the grand sheme of things for what the OP seems to be looking for.

I gave you the link for the Warrior X. I did not recommend the other versions of the Warrior because they were not tested like the X was. It has almost 3x the throw of the HLX for a good price. If you wait for one of Olights flash sales you can save money. They sold them for 40% off during Christmas.

I don't know what your budget is either, but I also gave you a way better, more expensive choice too, which I own (an older version - led technology changes and so does his mods). You have options.
    The Streamlight lux is 3.14 at 100 yards, dim twilight at best. The Warrior X has 78,400 candela so 9.37 lux at 100 yards, better than twilight but not bright. The Warrior X is larger, 1.61 inches in diameter and 7.76 oz. but 2000 lumens. Can this work as a WML? Every manufacturer seems to want to avoid discussing WML except Streamlight and SureFire. Fenix in emails says their Fenix UC35 is suitable to mount on an AR15. Likewise, ThruNite says their ThruNite TN12 V2 Max is suitable to mount on an AR15. Mrgunsandgear says of the two the ThruNite may be a better choice. ThruNite is certainly the cheapest and lightest and comes with a rechargeable battery and USB charger for $59.99. Since I'm not going out to 100 yards with a WLM anyway, and half of that seems realistic, I am just going with the TruNite and then get a hand held light in addition.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Slight de-rail for a possible other solution, albeit more expensive:

Is there a way to put pole lights up on your property and tie them into a master switch and/or motion? That way, you can throw the lights if you hear something or they trip on their own and you get a clear view of things with the added benefit of not giving your position away with a WML? I will say that a real downside to long distance target ID (for you) is when you lose track of the person after they say “oh shit” and run. Then you’re broadcasting your position searching with your light while they’re possibly lining up crosshairs. I know of two guys that have made fairly long distance hits without a WML. One was based off a suspect’s muzzle-flashes while shooting at other guys and the other was based on the bad guy’s WML and muzzle profile while he was scanning for the good guys. They didn’t know who hit them from where.

Just a thought.

Back on topic: have any of the above mentioned face-melting lights kept running after getting smashed? I will say part of the allure of SF and Streamlight (I have 2 protachs on rifles and 1 on a duty belt and 3 TLR-1s on pistols) is that they can take a for-real beating and keep running.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    Slight de-rail for a possible other solution, albeit more expensive:

Is there a way to put pole lights up on your property and tie them into a master switch and/or motion? That way, you can throw the lights if you hear something or they trip on their own and you get a clear view of things with the added benefit of not giving your position away with a WML? I will say that a real downside to long distance target ID (for you) is when you lose track of the person after they say “oh shit” and run. Then you’re broadcasting your position searching with your light while they’re possibly lining up crosshairs. I know of two guys that have made fairly long distance hits without a WML. One was based off a suspect’s muzzle-flashes while shooting at other guys and the other was based on the bad guy’s WML and muzzle profile while he was scanning for the good guys. They didn’t know who hit them from where.

Just a thought.

Back on topic: have any of the above mentioned face-melting lights kept running after getting smashed? I will say part of the allure of SF and Streamlight (I have 2 protachs on rifles and 1 on a duty belt and 3 TLR-1s on pistols) is that they can take a for-real beating and keep running.
    Like I mentioned above, my Klarus XT11 that I owned, had drops from above 8' onto concrete more often than I could count and kept on working. What finally did it in (I surmise) is that I dropped it off a 40' lift onto concrete onto its tailcap which turned it on. It worked for about a month after that and then started going intermittent then dimmed. I think the drop broke a solder joint on the driver because if I warmed it up at the joint, it would turn on full brightness. It lived beyond its expectations though and was not even weapon mount rated. I don't know what for-real beating means to you, but to me, that is more than any light should take and expect it to work.

The Olight Warrior X that was mentioned is actually the first light to get officially drop tested. They dropped tested it from 2 meters 1200 times from all different angles. No problem..not even a cracked lens (which is 3mm thick tempered). The magnetically attached remote switch looks to be a cool feature too.

In depth review:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ight-Warrior-X
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 01-25-19 at 11:02.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Like I mentioned above, my Klarus XT11 that I owned, had drops from above 8' onto concrete more often than I could count and kept on working. What finally did it in (I surmise) is that I dropped it off a 40' lift onto concrete onto its tailcap which turned it on. It worked for about a month after that and then started going intermittent then dimmed. I think the drop broke a solder joint on the driver because if I warmed it up at the joint, it would turn on full brightness. It lived beyond its expectations though and was not even weapon mount rated. I don't know what for-real beating means to you, but to me, that is more than any light should take and expect it to work.

The Olight Warrior X that was mentioned is actually the first light to get officially drop tested. They dropped tested it from 2 meters 1200 times from all different angles. No problem..not even a cracked lens (which is 3mm thick tempered). The magnetically attached remote switch looks to be a cool feature too.

In depth review:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ight-Warrior-X
    Real beating to me is stuff like having it getting smashed into stuff while way out on the end of a rifle. But, I think it bombing 40’ and still running, though somewhat compromised, is pretty friggin impressive.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    Real beating to me is stuff like having it getting smashed into stuff while way out on the end of a rifle. But, I think it bombing 40’ and still running, though somewhat compromised, is pretty friggin impressive.
    I got ya. I don't think being on the end of a rifle and banging into stuff would even equate to dropping it from above drop ceiling heights.

Feedback Score
    Pole lights is good idea or even those battery/solar powered motion LED lights. Can mount those to trees or poles and don’t need to run a wire out there.

I like this method so maybe you won’t have to pop your weapon light on till your ready. Once you pop it on you give away your position. They may not know you’re holding a gun but they know someone is there.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456