Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SF mini 2 556 vs 308

Feedback Score

SF mini 2 556 vs 308

Planning to buy my 1st suppressor and I think I’ve narrowed it down to to the SF mini 2 due to durability and build quality. My main question is will the 308 mini 2 fit on a 556 muzzle device, I’d like the versatility of a 308 suppressor. I’m also wondering if there’s a decibel benefit to the 308?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanktop View Post
    Planning to buy my 1st suppressor and I think I’ve narrowed it down to to the SF mini 2 due to durability and build quality. My main question is will the 308 mini 2 fit on a 556 muzzle device, I’d like the versatility of a 308 suppressor. I’m also wondering if there’s a decibel benefit to the 308?

Yes, the 762 mini 2 fits 5.56 muzzle devices. It's also very loud on either caliber. More moderator than suppressor.

I use it on my scar 20 and 13" scar 17, and used it on some of my 5.56 sbrs until I got a 556rc.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    On 308, is the mini significantly louder than other supressors of comparable size?

That said, you do know the 762 mini is the same size as the 556 RC?
    The 556 mini is a bit smaller than both (5” vs 6.2”)
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-15-19 at 07:29.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm guessing based on the question that your intent is for a 5.56 platform? I'd say your instinct for versatility is good, I'd go with the .308 as well. Every one I've ever seen was high quality and durable, but they are a little loud as has been stated already. It's an overall good choice. Also, I wouldn't worry much about the length difference between the .308 mini and the 5.56 mini, but that is my opinion.

ETA: Forgot to say what I even meant to when I started this comment; the suppression will be a little better from a 5.56 can. However, because SF in general is kinda loud, especially shooting supersonic ammo, you're still going to want to be wearing ear pro when you're shooting this platform anyway, so the choice is probably going to boil down to whether or not you value the versatility over the slightly better dB numbers. For this can, I go versatility.
    Last edited by nick84; 01-15-19 at 08:27.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Keep in mind the larger edit hole from the .308 may increase the decibel level. Seems people with a .30 cal can who can put a 5.56 front cal report better sound suppression over 5.56 coming out the .30 hole.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Keep in mind the larger edit hole from the .308 may increase the decibel level. Seems people with a .30 cal can who can put a 5.56 front cal report better sound suppression over 5.56 coming out the .30 hole.
    I've heard it both ways.

The bigger hole, all things being equal, should have less back pressure and thus less port nose. But will meter worse at the muzzle.

So in many ways it depends on the individual implementation and person use case.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any reason you're not considering some of the newer cans such as Dead Air's, Rugged's and Energetic Armament's offerings?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fmjoe View Post
    Any reason you're not considering some of the newer cans such as Dead Air's, Rugged's and Energetic Armament's offerings?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I’m not apposed to other options. My decision to go with SureFire is based on quality of build, durability etc. I don’t foresee myself buying many silencers so I want one to last decades, buy once cry once. I shoot maybe 2,000 rounds a year, if you can make a case for a silencer that exceeds the SureFire in several ways and should last decades I’m all ears.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I just put down money on a SOCOM Mini 556. That being said, my other rifle can is a full-sized SOCOM 308 which does good. I like the Surefires because they are very heavily built. I have been using my SOCOM 308 on Scars, Full auto 556, 556 semis, 308 bolts for a long time. I have launched it down range several times when I forgot to to tighten it. It is just a beast. That's why I decided to stick with the SF brand. Just my 1 centavo

Feedback Score
    All of the major manufacturers have good build quality, and are durable. Problems tend to be ammo or owner related, which surefire is not immune to.

Unless you have a lot of professional experience and know exactly what you are getting into, as a first suppressor, you will probably be disappointed with a mini. A mini is a better 5th or 6th can, but not really a good first can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast