Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DD Midlength 16” Undergassed?

Feedback Score

DD Midlength 16” Undergassed?

From the little info on this I’m able to find, it appears that Daniel Defense midlength gov’t profile 16” guns use a .072” gas port diameter. Can anyone confirm this? I assume DD doesn’t disclose that information like most manufacturers.

If it is .072”, doesn’t that seem a bit small? BCM uses .076” for the same setup. Would the DD 16” midlength have less reliability especially with weaker ammo?
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 02-25-19 at 10:41.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    From the little info on this I’m able to find, it appears that Daniel Defense midlength gov’t profile 16” guns use a .072” gas port diameter. Can anyone confirm this? I assume DD doesn’t disclose that information like most manufacturers.

If it is .072”, doesn’t that seem a bit small? BCM uses .076” for the same setup. Would the DD 16” midlength have less reliability especially with weaker ammo?
    I have a Daniel Defense M4v7LW that has a mid-length pencil barrel, and it has eaten everything I have fed it.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    According to BRT's web-site: it is but not by much, looks like they're showing the same as BCM, a .076", I guess it could depend upon what they're (DD) is using for Buffer and Buffer Spring, BCG?

Feedback Score
    I have been running a DDM4v5 as my "go-to" since 2012 time frame. It had a 16 inch mid-length barrel on it until I switched it out with a 14.5 mid-length about three years ago. I have primarily run Federal ammunition since swapping barrels, however, I ran a multitude of different ammunition brands and power through the 16 inch. I have had no issue what so ever with either barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RVTMaverick View Post
    According to BRT's web-site: it is but not by much, looks like they're showing the same as BCM, a .076", I guess it could depend upon what they're (DD) is using for Buffer and Buffer Spring, BCG?
    Afaik the DDM4V5 (the one I’m looking to get) uses a GI buffer spring and H buffer. Probably identical to what BCM uses.

It sounds like with good ammo in optimal conditions the undergassing isn’t an issue, but I wonder if it’ll start to hiccup in harsh/cold conditions and low power ammo.

Those of you with midlength 16” gov’t profile DD’s, specifically the M4V5, how many trouble free rounds do you have through it and what kind of ammo do you use?

I might go with a carbine length 14.5” but am considering the mid.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    My DD 16" mid runs Wolf Gold and various 5.56 at temps down to -5F. A5H2 and Tubbs AR10 spring. Standard M4 BCG, A2 FH. 4-5K rounds over the years and no problems.
    Last edited by MQ105; 02-25-19 at 11:44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ105 View Post
    My DD 16" mid runs Wolf Gold and various 5.56 at temps down to -5F. A5H2 and Tubbs AR10 spring. Standard M4 BCG, A2 FH. 4-5K rounds over the years and no problems.
    When did you get your’s? It sounds like they may have shrunken the gas port since 2017 or so.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    2015-ish... I measured mine at about .072. I used drill bits, and a 1.8mm (.0709") fit, but a #49 (.073") would not.

As additional info, my DD barrels are quite accurate. MOA 10-shot groups with the right ammo. They shoot 75 Gold Dots and 77 SMKs particularly well. 64 Gold Dot doesn't group nearly as good. I cut down a 14.5 to about 10.75 several years ago and it continues to impress, with north of 10k rounds through it, mostly suppressed.

Here is the 16". Bi-pod, rear bag and 2.5-10x NF.

Last edited by MQ105; 02-25-19 at 12:56.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    When did you get your’s? It sounds like they may have shrunken the gas port since 2017 or so.
    AFAIK they run 0.076" on their midlengths.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    AFAIK they run 0.076" on their midlengths.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast