Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR15 vs AR10 buffer/spring diff

Feedback Score

Question AR15 vs AR10 buffer/spring diff

i have a ar15 with a carbine adjustable stock and same with an ar10. I noticed the ar10 .308 has a smaller spring and buffer … but still works after adding a rifle buffer tube and fixed A2 magpul rifle stock. but with the ar15 .223 its required to update to a rifle buffer and spring. why does the .308 work ? lol school me on some info

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2NaDZ View Post
    i have a ar15 with a carbine adjustable stock and same with an ar10. I noticed the ar10 .308 has a smaller spring and buffer … but still works after adding a rifle buffer tube and fixed A2 magpul rifle stock. but with the ar15 .223 its required to update to a rifle buffer and spring. why does the .308 work ? lol school me on some info
    If you put a longer tube and keep the short buffer, it wont bottom out and I believe you risk shearing your gas key or otherwise damaging the rifle. It will manually cycle, but I would not fire it that way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    If you put a longer tube and keep the short buffer, it wont bottom out and I believe you risk shearing your gas key or otherwise damaging the rifle. It will manually cycle, but I would not fire it that way.
    So since it has a rifle tube now with a rifle stock should I buy a rifle spring and rifle buffer ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2NaDZ View Post
    So since it has a rifle tube now with a rifle stock should I buy a rifle spring and rifle buffer ?
    Yes. These exist for the 308 platform and are the correct solution. Using an AR-15 rifle buffer is not correct.
    Last edited by grizzman; 01-16-19 at 19:09.

Feedback Score
    Ok thanks, with my .223 I plan on upgrading to a strikes industries flat spring and spikes T2 buffer (carbine - stock tube - adjustable stock) but on the .308 id like to do the same but I will be looking for the rifle spring and tube since it has the rifle tube and fixed stock.. since that is clear. Any suggestions on brands or websites I dont seem to find the .308 rifle spring from spikes or strikes

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Look at KAK’s website.

Feedback Score
    I found a kaks heavy rifle buffer and noticed in the reviews guys using tubbs flat spring, and a adjustable GB with amazing results but I see that it’s only for standard and carbine length systems on the spring. I’m pretty sure one guy says he has a rifle stocked large frame AR?? So now I’m confused how he is using this when it says it’s only for carbine or standard lengths. Here is the link read reviews https://www.kakindustry.com/review/product/list/id/609/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ignoring the A5 system, there are carbine systems and rifle systems. The rifle system would be considered the "standard". There are two Tubb springs, one AR-15 version and an AR-10 version. Each version is used with any buffer system.

I've used each with good results. My 308s are in no way over-gassed, so I've not tried a heavy buffer or adjustable gas block.

How is the 308's ejection with a standard 308 carbine buffer?
    Last edited by grizzman; 01-16-19 at 19:11.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Ignoring the A5 system, there are carbine systems and rifle systems. The rifle system would be considered the "standard". There are two Tubb springs, one AR-15 version and an AR-10 version. Each version is used with any buffer system.

I've used each with good results. My 308s are in no way over-gassed, so I've not tried a heavy buffer or adjustable gas block.

How is the 308's ejection with a standard 308 carbine buffer?
    School me on what you mean by ignoring the A5 system ? And I believe I know what you mean now by carbine systems and rifle (standard) .. so this would explain that the spring would work in either system ?? I have a diamondback Ar10 with 18” barrel .. I haven’t shot it enough to honestly tell you how the ejection is or what to look for in that sense?? I’m basically seeing guys upgrading springs and buffers to a bit heavier and helping recoil but I’m new to the AR game so I’m learning .. just tryin to help with recoil and upgrade cheaper stock parts

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I meant that the A5 system is a third one that wasn't mentioned in the reviews, and also generally not mentioned in product pages that aren't directly related to it. Had I said there are only two systems....carbine and rifle.....I wouldn't have been truthful.

I happen to have an Aero M5 with a gen 2 UBR, which has an A5 length receiver extension. With this setup, standard AR-15 carbine buffers are used.

If your rifle ejects brass at what you consider a typical distance, then trying a heavier buffer is a legitimate idea. If the brass lands on the shooting bench next to the rifle, then a heavier buffer will likely slow the carrier too much. If it doesn't run with the heavier buffer, then all you need to do is re-install the standard one and rock on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast