Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wilson combat edc-x9 550 round break in.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Wilson combat edc-x9 550 round break in.

After much wanting but little need i finally bought the edc-x9. My dealer gave it to me for $2550 plus tax.
    Fit and finish (more on finish later) came superb. If you oil the rails it will literally push all of it that it doesn't need out the back. Either you are impressed or have oily glasses.

The 550 rounds were fired during 3 trips using aguila 124gr exclusively.
    The first 300 rounds i have to admit i either didn't like or get the sights. I would still hit the target but nothing spectacular.
    The last 250 rounds i could not miss. I brought 100 rounds with me and kept walking to the counter for more ammo. It is more accurate than me and maybe after another 500 rounds i will be making the 1" group from the test target.

Pros: Man that trigger. Wow! Crispy.
    Very accuarate.
    Comfortable. Aggressive but doesn't dig into your hand.
    Zero malfunctions.
    Cons: The finish is not nearly as good as i was led to believe. 2 big scratches after 3 range trips. Might get slide cerakoted or np3.
    Neutral: The wilson/Vickers battle sights. Not sure i like them.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TacticalFun; 02-07-19 at 16:25.
    i had the will power to not buy guns. I even bought a gun store and work for a company that manufactures the forging machines for said guns. I need help.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Good to see a report on one of these. It's probably my top "want but can't justify" pistol.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The Wilson EDC-X9 is one nice blaster. Mr. Hackathorn brought it out when I was at his place a couple years ago and all I wanted to do with this pistol was shoot it faster. Very hard to miss with that thing! Very well made and damn pretty. I just can't justify purchasing one. It's way too heavy to carry compared to my plastic go to guns.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I like my 1911s, especially my Wilson 1911s, so when the EDC-9 came out I knew I'd have to have one. I waited months for one to show up at my "local" Wilson stocking dealer, which is an hour and a half drive away. When I saw they got one in, I grabbed my cash & showed up at his door at opening time the next morning. The gun was everything I've come to expect from Wilson. Nice finish, fit & finish was flawless & the thing fit me like a glove.

The more I handled it & the more I thought about it though, I figured there's no way the EDC-9 was going to do the every day carry duty role any better than my Glocks & Sigs . I never thought it'd ever happen, but I handed the gun back, tanked the guy, took my cash & went home. It's not that I have a problem paying that kind of money for a Wilson & it's not that the gun wasn't worth every penny. Even though I had the $100 bills in my hand, and I had been eagerly anticipating buying an EDC-9, I just couldn't justify buying that gun.

I must be getting old.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironbutt View Post
    I like my 1911s, especially my Wilson 1911s, so when the EDC-9 came out I knew I'd have to have one. I waited months for one to show up at my "local" Wilson stocking dealer, which is an hour and a half drive away. When I saw they got one in, I grabbed my cash & showed up at his door at opening time the next morning. The gun was everything I've come to expect from Wilson. Nice finish, fit & finish was flawless & the thing fit me like a glove.

The more I handled it & the more I thought about it though, I figured there's no way the EDC-9 was going to do the every day carry duty role any better than my Glocks & Sigs . I never thought it'd ever happen, but I handed the gun back, tanked the guy, took my cash & went home. It's not that I have a problem paying that kind of money for a Wilson & it's not that the gun wasn't worth every penny. Even though I had the $100 bills in my hand, and I had been eagerly anticipating buying an EDC-9, I just couldn't justify buying that gun.

I must be getting old.
    It took me like 15 months to make up my mind

i had the will power to not buy guns. I even bought a gun store and work for a company that manufactures the forging machines for said guns. I need help.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalFun View Post
    It took me like 15 months to make up my mind

From what I've seen of them & from all the glowing reports from actual owners, the EDC-9 is absolutely a great gun. A lot of folks won't pay the prices that Wilson asks for their guns, but I have absolutely no problem with that. It's just that after handling one personally, I just didn't fall immediately in love with the gun, like I did with my other Wilsons.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Feedback Score
    I've had one for about 8 months.

I have to agree with the OP about the finish and the sights. After only a couple hundred draws, the finish on the muzzle, grip and magwell have already started to wear away. And this is mostly from dry firing.

I am also not a fan of the stock sights. Maybe it's just me, but I found it very hard to get a proper alignment of the sights at first. It was just hard to focus on. I've gotten better, but I still think I could do better with different sights. That being said, I called Wilson and the front sight mounting is proprietary. You can't just buy a front sight and put it on the gun. That's why Wilson recommends a vertically adjustable sight.

Other than those two things, it's a damn near perfect gun in my opinion. It has definitely helped me improve my overall shooting ability as it let me diagnose some things that I didn't otherwise discover shooting my usual Glock guns. The grip is... grippy, and not harsh at all. And the trigger is the bees knees with very little take-up.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the write up.

I’ve been eyeing one of these for awhile, but can’t seem to make a decision.

Either an EDC X9 or a full house Langdon Beretta LTT 92 Elite are next on my radar.

Thinking of going to AIWB carry and getting away from striker fired guns, so a hammer I can positively control when holstering at times that I cannot put the holster on with pistol in it already would be a plus.

Too bad the finish isn’t more durable, at least I know I would need to budget for a Cerakote job or some other more durable finish down the road.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 01-16-19 at 18:12.

Feedback Score
    BEAUTIFUL!!! I've been drooling over this piece since it first came out. With that said...

Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I just can't justify purchasing one. It's way too heavy to carry compared to my plastic go to guns.
    THAT. I'm afraid that if I did spring for this, she'd just be a safe queen as I wouldn't want to scratch it by carrying. The want is strong though. Maybe if I ever find a deal on a used one that is already dinged up. For now, the Sig P365 will carry plenty of rounds and I won't cry if I drop it in the dirt while out practicing. That little ****er is a shooter.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    I think other manufacturers will likely bring out their version just as the Sig 938 inspired Kimber to make their version. The Walther Magazine might be a problem, but with Megar making the Canik copy of the PPQ Magazine I think it's just a matter of time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast