Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Pistol Build, looking for some input

Feedback Score

First Pistol Build, looking for some input

Looking for input but here’s what I have so far,

This is intended to be a suppressed, two barrel pistol build with the DOLOS quick change system.

Spikes upper and lower, Expo Arms BCG, Strike Industries 10.3 barrel for the 5.56, Spikes Tactical 8.3 in 300 BLK, either a CMC 2 stage or an ELF. The hand guards will most likely be YHM. Still need gas blocks.

Still debating the brace and small components.

Since the last rifle I built (over 10 years ago) it seems like there are a multitude of parts available. It’s kind of crazy the options out there. It’s hard to sort out what’s good and what’s just bling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
    Ambrose Redmoon

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    SBa3 Brace is hard to beat.
    And yes, there have been a lot of changes in 10 years.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    SBA3 brace is the best IMO. Couple that with a LAW folder and you have an excellent setup.

I have an 11.5 BCM pistol that I run suppressed quite a bit, all stock BCM stuff. Start with quality, and you'll end up with quality. Why not have two dedicated uppers instead of some quick change setup? Also, unless you are seriously going to be on your game at all times, I would be extremely careful mixing 300BLK and 5.56 quick change components on the same lower. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I built my pistol as if I was building a self defense SBR. Just because it's a "pistol" does not mean the same thing it most likely meant 10 years ago where there were 7.5" bushmasters rolling around spewing fireballs and decimating the can and bottle populations.

Nowadays almost every AR pistol build I see on here is set up for self defense or duty.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    SBA3 brace is the best IMO. Couple that with a LAW folder and you have an excellent setup.

I have an 11.5 BCM pistol that I run suppressed quite a bit, all stock BCM stuff. Start with quality, and you'll end up with quality. Why not have two dedicated uppers instead of some quick change setup? Also, unless you are seriously going to be on your game at all times, I would be extremely careful mixing 300BLK and 5.56 quick change components on the same lower. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I built my pistol as if I was building a self defense SBR. Just because it's a "pistol" does not mean the same thing it most likely meant 10 years ago where there were 7.5" bushmasters rolling around spewing fireballs and decimating the can and bottle populations.

Nowadays almost every AR pistol build I see on here is set up for self defense or duty.
    If you are shooting only the heavier bullets in the 300BLK (such as the 200gr +) then you should not have a problem with them in a 5.56 as they should not chamber. A little logistical planning so that you don’t have the lighter bullets (ie., 125gr) in the 300BLK and a 5.56 on the same day should prevent that.

Again, keyword=should.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I see limited value of a barrel change system vs 2 separate uppers.

What's the likelihood of an optic/RDS sharing the same zero between two different barrels in two different calibers?

Just build two separate uppers, setup to compliment the barrel used.

Feel free to share the BCG and charging handle if costs must be kept down.

The SBA3 is nice, but also consider SBR ing the lower and using your choice of real stocks.

Don't forget to use a good buffer system such as H2 or VLTOR A5
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    What's the likelihood of an optic/RDS sharing the same zero between two different barrels in two different calibers?
    That’s a great point. I think the main reason is I wanted to build this was to have both calibers available in a small package. I was hoping to have two separate optics zeroed on mounts that “should” hold zero.

Good point as well. Thank you.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
    Ambrose Redmoon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For utility, I think the Tailhook Mod 2 edges out the SBA3. The Tailhook Mod 2 is adjustable but does require it's own RE. It still uses carbine buffers & springs.

I do like the SBA3. It can be used on any carbine style RE including the A5 type and it's adjustable. A good brace but it really needs a Split Fix to keep the wings from flopping around and keep up with the Tailhook Mod 2.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    SBA3 Brace allll the way

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Both the SBA3 and Tail hook 2 are winners. Can't go wrong with either.

Feedback Score
    I see limited value of a barrel change system vs 2 separate uppers.

Just build two separate uppers, setup to compliment the barrel used.

Feel free to share the BCG and charging handle if costs must be kept down.

The SBA3 is nice, but also consider SBR ing the lower and using your choice of real stocks.

What about the Armaspec silent buffer? Seems like it would be a solid choice? Plus, cheaper than the JO silence spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast