Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NX8 vs razor hd 1-6 vs vxr patrol

Feedback Score

NX8 vs razor hd 1-6 vs vxr patrol

I currently have a vxr patrol and may be upgrading soon.
    This will be going on a 11.5” or 12.5”. Gun will be primarily for close range with extended capability, out to 600 yards or so.

I like the weight of the vxr and find it very fast due to the huge (IMO) eyebox.

So my questions are:
    1. which of the nx8 and razor has a bigger eye box on 1x?
    2. Which is faster?
    3. How does eye-box compare to the vxr on 1.25x?

Edit- not sure if “eye box” is correct term, i can pick up the dot before I can see through the scope, the area from which the dot is visible is large, and what Im asking about... but I guess the actual eye box as well.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-16-19 at 13:23.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I asked similar questions recently and from users of the razor and NX8 I learned that the Razor has the best eye box of the two, if not the best on the market. Also that the NX8 is best suited for distance with the ability to do close up work as needed and the razor is almost like and rds with the ability to stretch it legs. I can not compare to the Leupold.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    I've had the razor since they first came out and the only draw back to me is the weight.

Feedback Score
    Edit- not sure if “eye box” is correct term, i can pick up the dot before I can see through the scope, the area from which the dot is visible is large, and what Im asking about... but I guess the actual eye box as well.[/QUOTE]

Eye box, sweet spot, "Apparent field of view", etc. - all pretty much just gets at "Which is the easiest to get behind when stuff's happening fast"

That's pretty much all we have to say about that. Our opinion on which is best is basically pointless on here Let us know if you have any specific questions at all about the Razor though

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression the nx8 was geared more for close in.

Vortex- cool to see you on here. Ill let you know if I have questions, thanks.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    For the weight and footprint, the NX8 can’t be beat on an AR platform...especially an SBR in my opinion. The trade off is that you’ll have a little tighter eye box than the Razor or ATACR. This is more due to being FFP vs SFP than anything.

That said, I’ve looked through my NX8 alongside a friends ATACR (which most people say is comparable or better than the razor eye box) and I was underwhelmed with the difference between the two. For me, the trade off is worth it, especially with some training behind the glass (which would be required of all LPVOs).

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    IMHO, the reality is, unless you do a side my side of the scopes you have in contention, you will never know for sure which one *you*prefer, and it will be a guess based on other people’s opinions. Some companies like Sport Optics, I have bought two different scopes on the same order, got them, looked through them only for around 15 minutes, decided, and sent the other one back for a recredit. I told them I would be doing this when I ordered them, they said no problem, just do NOT mount them. I was just out a little bit of shipping. Depending on your eyesight some reticles can be too thin,too thick, or too busy. If I were shooting out at 600 yds or more, and depending on the target size, * I * would want 8x or more magnification and *I* would also prefer having a little more generous eye box and a little more FOV more so than having a smaller footprint. If using it 80% of the time or more at 400yds and in, I myself would choose the Razor 1-6x.
    Last edited by Biggy; 01-17-19 at 18:13.

Feedback Score
    Razor all day over the NX8. Like previously stated, the Razor dominates on 1x with a massive eyebox. The nx8 has a much smaller field of view and tight eyebox. For what it sounds like you'll be using the weapon for, the Razor fits the bill better, IMO

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Ironman8;2696502]For the weight and footprint, the NX8 can’t be beat on an AR platform...especially an SBR in my opinion. The trade off is that you’ll have a little tighter eye box than the Razor or ATACR. This is more due to being FFP vs SFP than anything.

It's not because it's FFP actually. SFP vs. FFP just changes the reticle itself and where it's placed on the erector unit. You can get a generous eyebox and large FOV with FFP. There are other reasons why those spec's might vary.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    [QUOTE=VortexOptics;2696641]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    For the weight and footprint, the NX8 can’t be beat on an AR platform...especially an SBR in my opinion. The trade off is that you’ll have a little tighter eye box than the Razor or ATACR. This is more due to being FFP vs SFP than anything.

It's not because it's FFP actually. SFP vs. FFP just changes the reticle itself and where it's placed on the erector unit. You can get a generous eyebox and large FOV with FFP. There are other reasons why those spec's might vary.
    Well I won’t argue with an optics manufacturer

But I didn’t make that up...in fact that explaination came from another well known optics manufacturer on a different forum. :shrug:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast