Thread: Colt SP1 upper

Feedback Score

Colt SP1 upper

A gentleman I know was asking me this and I have no idea so I told I’m I would ask here. This is what I was told, if dates or anything is incorrect it’s not my fault.

He is being offered a 1965 Colt SP1 20inch upper with around 400 rounds through it. The guy selling it is in California and does not want to part with the lower because it’s not in the system. I searched around gunbroker and only found a couple SP1 uppers and there $5-600. He wanted to know what a fair price was.

Personally I wouldn’t break this up but it’s not mine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific5th View Post
    A gentleman I know was asking me this and I have no idea so I told I’m I would ask here. This is what I was told, if dates or anything is incorrect it’s not my fault.

He is being offered a 1965 Colt SP1 20inch upper with around 400 rounds through it. The guy selling it is in California and does not want to part with the lower because it’s not in the system. I searched around gunbroker and only found a couple SP1 uppers and there $5-600. He wanted to know what a fair price was.

Personally I wouldn’t break this up but it’s not mine.
    if it is a 1965 don’t break it up. you can get $2000 for it depending on where you are. we have beaten this horse to death on this form but general consensus is $2k and if it’s not in the commieforina books rescue it.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    I get the don’t break up thing. It’s not mine and not my decision. I guess the guy wants to keep the lower cause it’s “off the books”.

Feedback Score
    Something in this doesn't smell right. We're talking a big-screw SP1 upper?
    It's current owner wants to keep the lower 'cause it's 'off the books', but the only way he can make it whole again is to find another Colt upper?
    Call me crazy, but how does this make sense, financial or otherwise?
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Something in this doesn't smell right. We're talking a big-screw SP1 upper?
    It's current owner wants to keep the lower 'cause it's 'off the books', but the only way he can make it whole again is to find another Colt upper?
    Call me crazy, but how does this make sense, financial or otherwise?
    Moon
    I agree. Something is fishy about this. No one in their right mind would separate a 1965 Colt SP1. In many places, these can sell for upwards of $5000 dependin on condition and whether it has everything with it. If some guy in CA is trying to sell what he is saying is a 1965 Colt SP1 upper assembly and hanging onto the lower because it is NOT in the SYSTEM, then I find this very suspicious. If it is not too late, I would tell the gentleman that was asking you about it to run away from it.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Yeah, either the guy trying to sell the upper doesn't realize the issues with fitting another big-screw upper, or he is up to something.
    My BS alarm is going off.
    Moon