Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eight hour (!) P&S Modcast on nothing but 1911s

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

Eight hour (!) P&S Modcast on nothing but 1911s

Video includes discussion of why expensive 1911s are expensive, magazines, spring rates, red dots, dust covers/dust cover rails, double-stack 1911s and double-stack 1911 magazines, and all manner of minutiae on making a pistol (especially a 1911) run as well as can be and why the 1911 is still relevant in 2019.

The video starts a little bit earlier than the actual ModCast proper and extends for about three hours after the ModCast proper is over (but the subject never strays far from the 1911).

Matt Landfair hosts, with shooter/instructors Steve Fisher (Sentinel Concepts) and Chuck Pressburg (Presscheck Consulting), and 1911 gunsmiths Joe Chambers (Chambers Custom), Dave Laubert (Defensive Creations, LLC), and AJ Zito (Practical Performance). Later on (about five hours in), they're joined by Tim Herron. And toward the end of those eight hours, they are still going, even when it's 3 and 5 in the morning for them... only to be cut off when Matt's internet connection cuts off.

On the topic of stuff, some of the takeaways were: Remington/Para 1911s of recent vintage are poor quality, Rugers SR1911s are recommended for those on a budget, with Dan Wesson and Nighthawk Custom for those who can spend more. You can reliably use 45 Auto magazines with 10mm and 40 and 38 Super magazines with 9mm. And apparently all plastic followers (like those used in some Wilson Combat magazines?) are problematical and magazine spring rates are not as critical to proper function as magazine manufacturers might want us to believe.

Oh: And full-size 9mm 1911s should have a 20-lb. mainspring and 13-lb. recoil spring (they cover more about mainspring and recoil spring weights/rates, balancing them, and selecting different firing pin stops based on cartridge and ammunition - but the bit about the 9mm was most important to me, because I'm wanting a reliable full-size 9mm 1911, so that's what I took from it).

I had to watch the video over the course of two days. Usually, Matt Landfair will take shorter sections, about ten minutes long or so, and post them up, and I eagerly await the shorter sections.

I'm curious to hear what others might have to add to the discussion they have in the video.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 01-17-19 at 17:27.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Thanks for this. While I won't watch the whole thing (I get side tracked on the new Hardcore History, Jocko, and either Theo Von or Joe Rogan) I will certainly appreciate the amount of knowledge packed into one video!

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the post - would have only heard the podcast otherwise.

Feedback Score
    "Kilt on the streets" made me chuckle.

Watched this a couple of days ago in a couple of blocks through out the day. Good stuff.

The magazine discussion was great and I had no idea about some of the points they made. Need to go back and revisit that portion because of Chambers speaking to why rebuilding your mags was a bad thing. Could be I just miss interpreted it or missed the reasoning completely because of the watching in sections thing.

Also led me down the barrel fitment rabbit hole which caused me to stumble on Joe Chambers "barrel Challenge" over on the 1911 Addicts sight. My results have been both gratifying and disappointing at the same time.

Thanks for bringing this to the surface MR. Lots of good info to be had and will probably revisit multiple times.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for the rundown.

Sounds like shills spewing bad info.

As usual.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Thanks for the rundown.

As usual.
    You gonna add anything to the conversation or just do a drive-by trying to start shit?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Thanks for the rundown.

As usual.
    Explain, or go away.

Feedback Score
    Great stuff, I have been watching just a few segments at a time, great stuff!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Explain, or go away.
    The Dan Wesson and Nighthawk shilling bits are just from their personal beef with other manufacturers.

The magazines functioning reliably with different ammo than made for is somewhat true if your standards for reliability aren't real high.

The mag spring force bit comes from different schools of build. Hard use reliability vs absolute max potential accuracy.

The plastic follower bit is nonsense. Some of the most reliable followers are the Wilson 47, ETM, and Tripps.

It was an undercover bash Wilson Combat video.
    Last edited by 17K; 01-20-19 at 09:11.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not being a pedantic 1911 groupie, I’ll just say 8 hours of anything is simply too much and that my experience is that Wilson 47’s are among the most reliable 1911 magazines.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast