Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new lower

Feedback Score

new lower

I'm looking at buying a new complete lower in the next few weeks. I've narrowed it down to the LMT Defender, the BCM and the Midwest Industries forged lower.

I've used an LMT lower on another rifle for some time and I like it a lot. However, they have gone way up in price. Currently they are listed at $450, less shiping, tax and paperwork. Grip is very good, stock is so so.

I've never used a BCM lower, but I have a BCM upper and I have been quite happy with it. It's $395, less all the extra charges. Grip is good, stock is OK.

The MI lower is also untried by me, but I've heard much good about them and it does come with a sweet Magpul CTR stock. It's also the lowest price at $375, less all the extra charges. Grip is good, stock is very nice.

Price is not really the issue. I don't want to spend more than I need, but in the cosmic scheme of things $75 on a total expendature of roughly $1000+ is not that much, and while the grip or stock on one may be better than on another, they are both easy and inexpensive to change. What grip or stock it comes with will not be a factor.

Are any one of these lowers better than the other? Either the lower itself or the LPK that is used. I want the one that is made the best, with the best parts, and the highest QC.

Feedback Score
    Can't go wrong with any of them, but the one that is closest to your final configuration is the one to pick. BCM would be my choice, but that's me not you.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The LMT Defender and BCM are both highly regarded options, and it's likely that most here would consider them roughly equal in receiver, LPK, and QC aspects. I don't know of anyone using an MI lower assembly....didn't even know they offer them. When I previously shopped for a complete lower assembly I was initially going to get an LMT (I've used them but never owned one), but decided on the BCM for less money. I've not regretted the decision, and ended up assembling an upper with all BCM components to pair with it.

I consider grips and stocks to be totally user replaceable. My least mechanically inclined niece could replace both without direction in a few minutes.

Do you plan to leave the trigger components in the lower that you receive? If not, and you have a definite preference to the stock and grip that aren't an option with BCM or LMT, you should check out the Sionics Gutless Lower Receiver Assembly. The machining/finish/assembly is as well executed as my BCM.
    Last edited by grizzman; 01-17-19 at 22:36.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    BCM is my lower of choice. I currently have 3.

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    The BCM should come with their PNT trigger which is a solid mil-spec-ish trigger and BCM almost always gets my recommendation. Unfortunately, there are some people who have had issues with their lowers and M3 PMAGs so I will not buy any more until I hear that has been fixed or I can verify function for myself. Major bummer for me because all of my stripped lowers have/will be built with nearly 100% BCM parts. Something to consider if you use the latest generation of PMAG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I have A couple LMTs, and a bunch of BCM. They’re both great, but I prefer BCM. BCM magwell is more beveled which is nice, and I like their finish better. Gen2 Pmags are tight in the LMT lowers I have. All of my BCM lowers have zero issues with Gen3 pmags.

I’d trade my LMTs for BCM, but I would never trade my BCMs for LMT. BCM is my go to.
    Last edited by madAB; 01-17-19 at 23:14.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    As much as I like BCM, for a $50 difference in complete lower I would go with LMT. Two reasons for that:
    1. LMT will probably hold value better long-term
    2. Primary reason - LMT customer service is outstanding, far superior to BCM's in my opinion (and from other people's reviews as well). 10% difference is a minuscule matter long-term.

There were a few reported issue here with BCM lowers and PMags:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...with-PMAG-Gen3
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-new-BCM-lower

I personally don't think it's a big issue, but it might be for you.

Feedback Score
    They are all good options, as well as the Sionics mentioned. Another option to look into is SOLGW. They use Zev/MEGA receivers and offer a customizable lower that includes VLTOR A5 buffer system with A5H2 buffer included. You can choose grip and some other upgrades if wanted.

With their upgraded trigger, grip of choice, B5 sopmod stock, and A5 system they are $449 which isn't bad with the included upgrades

Grant also offers a BCM lower with A5 at G&R

Feedback Score
    When starting from scratch with lowers, I never really understand the expenditure.

Aero lower + good LPK, furniture of your choice, G2S, A5 buffer kit. It'll come out at or below the (inflated) prices of the above listed options, and you'll end up with a better trigger, the stock and grip of your choice, and an A5.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have 2 blem Sionics lowers I bought last year that I’m a big fan of. I personally wouldn’t pay over $300 for a complete lower, but that’s just me. I’m perfectly happy with my 2 blems and I’ve yet to notice the blems. I recently picked up 2 PSA lowers, 1 for a beater rifle and 1 with an sba3 to see what all the hubbub is about at pistols. I’m somewhat subscribe to the theory that a lower is a lower, but for my serious use pair of ARs I splurged for the Sionics lowers.

I get wanting a BCM lower to mate up with a BCM upper, but I just can’t justify that price tag. Buy what you want though. A BCM lower will certainly serve you well and I’d choose one over the LMT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast