Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What’s with Midway USA?

Feedback Score

What’s with Midway USA?

For years Midway USA was my go to place to buy gun related anything. I always checked there first. They always had a great selection, the best price, had great promos, and fast shipping.

Now after a 5 year break from shooting, I go on their website and the selection is terrible. Prices are higher than Brownells (the opposite used to be the case) and I haven’t received a promo code email in a very long time.

So I order a SBA3 brace from them because I had a GC from Xmas and they charged for shipping and it took 8 days. Long for modern times. I used to get stuff from them faster and very nicely packaged. Today I get the brace and it’s in a white plastic envelope....not a box. The actual box for the brace is trashed. Luckily the brace seems ok.

Brownells on the other hand seems to have stepped it up big time.
    image.jpg
    Last edited by OldState; 01-18-19 at 10:37.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    Don't get me wrong. I love MidwayUSA. I've never had one single problem with any order I've placed with them, and I've ordered plenty.

But I will say that there's a running joke among some of my buddies that they should change their motto to "Just about everything.....backordered."

Feedback Score
    I order from them alot, only issue I've ever had was a box of 6.5x47 Lapua brass. The bottom of the box was smashed, and about 13 cases had the mouths all dented in. I'm pretty sure it happened in transit, as the plastic box was shipped in an envelope. I was going to send it back, but after running them through the die the expander ball smoothed them out. The only time I've used their customer service was for 2 mag extenders I ordered for my M&P. They were total crap. I returned them no problem.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've ordered a lot from Midway. I've dealt with more than one lengthy back order on bullets of varying flavors. Everything else however was shipped almost by the time I went to log off... ok, maybe not that fast, but pretty close. On the whole, no complaints about them.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    For years Midway USA was my go to place to buy gun related anything. I always checked there first. They always had a great selection, the best price, had great promos, and fast shipping.

Now after a 5 year break from shooting, I go on their website and the selection is terrible. Prices are higher than Brownells (the opposite used to be the case) and I haven’t received a promo code email in a very long time.
    Brownells on the other hand seems to have stepped it up big time.
    image.jpg
    I've been a regular customer of Midway for 12+ years now, no hiatus, and I've seen exactly the changes you describe. Prices up, selection way down. They radically curtailed their product selection about 2-3 years ago, FYI. All I buy from them now is either clearance or the few items where they have the best price. Very few items in that category. I've also noticed lately that some of their highly promoted "special sales" feature prices at or above the normal price at 5-10 other retailers.

Likewise, I never used to buy from Brownells due to MSRP+ pricing and high shipping, but they have fixed both and it is far more competitive now. And I get free shipping and/or 10% off offers from Brownells every week by email.

Feedback Score
    I've also noticed that Midway's shipping is taking notably longer that it used to. As long as I'm in no rush, no issues. I've found Brownells' shipping to remain quite fast, but using their website is not nearly as easy to navigate as Midway's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I think it's just the state of retail in the U.S. - way less merchandise on hand anywhere.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Last order from them was a box of Lapua Grendel brass. Was put in an unpadded envelope, arrived with plastic box smashed. They sent 2 replacement Frankfort arms cartridge boxes. Ok, but I'd have preferred the Lapua box.

They seem to have up and down periods.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I definitely do most of my ordering from Brownell's. They give me an LE discount and then just about always have a coupon code going on top of that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I've been a regular customer of Midway for 12+ years now, no hiatus, and I've seen exactly the changes you describe. Prices up, selection way down. They radically curtailed their product selection about 2-3 years ago, FYI. All I buy from them now is either clearance or the few items where they have the best price. Very few items in that category. I've also noticed lately that some of their highly promoted "special sales" feature prices at or above the normal price at 5-10 other retailers.

Likewise, I never used to buy from Brownells due to MSRP+ pricing and high shipping, but they have fixed both and it is far more competitive now. And I get free shipping and/or 10% off offers from Brownells every week by email.
    100% agreed. Brownells is now what Midway once was but even better.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast