Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about pressures regarding suppressed Vep

Feedback Score

Question about pressures regarding suppressed Vep

So,when I usually resort to asking a question on one of my forums, it's usually a doozy. Well, maybe not this one for someone running a similar setup.

So, I'm basically going to be using one of my suppressors on my Vepr. The rifle is the 23" barrel one in 7.62x54R. Suppressor is a Crux Nemesis338. Don't feel comfortable running my 30BAS in that a 308 bullet is slightly smaller than a 7.52x54R in diameter plus you never know how congruent the treading is on my barrel.

My questing, do I need to worry about the increase in gas pressures and if so, what modifications to the rifle do I need to perform? I'd rather not spend the money on an adjustable gas block if I don't need one. Rounds I will be using are 203gr. SP.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    You need a Wolverine PBS-1. The biggest issue is the potential for non-concentric threads. This can is made with a slightly larger hole going through the baffles and is rated above 54r.

https://deadairsilencers.com/products/wolverine-pbs-1/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    You need a Wolverine PBS-1. The biggest issue is the potential for non-concentric threads. This can is made with a slightly larger hole going through the baffles and is rated above 54r.

https://deadairsilencers.com/products/wolverine-pbs-1/
    My 338 can is rated above 54R like you said. I could understand being iffy using a 30 cal. can because bullet diameter of 54R is slightly larger than that used in 308, 30-06, ect.
    Wasn't too worried about a baffle strike using my 338 can plus I was going to check things out real well once mounted.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gooseman80 View Post
    I'd rather not spend the money on an adjustable gas block if I don't need one.
    I would think that an adjustable gas piston would be ideal.
    https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/prod...le-gas-piston/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I would think that an adjustable gas piston would be ideal.
    https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/prod...le-gas-piston/
    I agree on the adjustable gas block. Lot of money though. I'll probably end up seeing how she acts before purchasing one. Anyone out there with any experience regarding different springs or buffers?

Feedback Score
    Springs and buffers won't do it for the AK. You need to reduce the force driving the carrier.

The main symptom you'll see if the AK is way overgassed is bolt over base malfunctions. The carrier bounces off the rear of the receiver so hard that it outruns the magazine spring.

Even if the rifle functions without reducing the gas, you'll still be overdriving it. Look out for the rear trunnion getting loose over time.

Feedback Score
    ...and, after all that, it won't suppress that well anyway.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    ...and, after all that, it won't suppress that well anyway.
    There I don't agree. The AK's reputation for being loud when suppressed comes entirely from being tremendously overgassed, with the accompanying obnoxious port pop you'd expect at the gas block.

Reduce the gas to just what's necessary for function and the AK suppresses every bit as well as any other piston driven rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    Springs and buffers won't do it for the AK. You need to reduce the force driving the carrier.

The main symptom you'll see if the AK is way overgassed is bolt over base malfunctions. The carrier bounces off the rear of the receiver so hard that it outruns the magazine spring.

Even if the rifle functions without reducing the gas, you'll still be overdriving it. Look out for the rear trunnion getting loose over time.
    OK, I here you.

Feedback Score
    FYI: I don't want to suppress it for noise. It's to eliminate muzzle flash when using NVGs and a IR laser. They also do well to reduce felt recoil though that's not really a problem for me with that rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast