Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RL550 Priming Issue

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I think you may have solved it. I recently had it completely down for a thorough cleaning. Could be the misalignment didn't really impact the small primers and showed itself when I switched to large primers.

I've always paid attention to the priming system, I use a lot of the tips from the Brian Enos forum to keep it running smooth, this is why this problem is so frustrating.

Thanks!!

Dan
    You're welcome! I've spent a fair bit of time in the reloading section of Enos Forum too. They have a lot of experience in on the subject, simply by virtue of sheer volume.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Their best guess was that the ram and platform had become misaligned. They offered to have me send it in for repair of course. However, after assuring them that I was fairly mechanically inclined, they sent me a platform alignment tool, free of charge. I followed the steps and that fixed the problem.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/rl55...8_6_26408.html
    Same thing happened to me once I stripped the machine for a comprehensive cleaning and de-greasing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have issues with the primer pocket on some brass not aligning with the primer seating punch on my RL550B. I have to rotate the shell plate slightly to align them, then the primer goes in easily. This does not happen with all brass, it occurs with most Magtech and some Winchester brass. This issue never occurs when I load with Starline brass.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well I thought I had it fixed, ran through 400 rounds (all the primers I had left) with no sideways. Went to LGS and they were out of CCI 300's, so I bought Winchester. First hundred rounds, 2 sideways, finished the primer tube and tore it completely down.

I'm going to call Dillon in the morning to see what they say.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    A problem I've experienced with the priming system is the nut that locks the screw on the back of the primer housing that controls the depth of travel of the priming bar has rotated slightly changing the depth of travel of the primer bar.

The primer cup would still align enough to work properly most of the time but would sometimes catch on the shell plate enough due to slight misalignment. When it did get bumped by the shell plate it would cause the primer to turn sideways or upside down. This was very difficult to detect at first. The problem started off slow and eventually became worse until it couldn't be ignored.

Once I loosened the nut, reset the depth, and locked the nut down tightly the problem disappeared.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I also had this problem. For one make sure the bench its bolted to is solid to prevent vibrations and dont power stroke the handle on the forward push.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bench is solidly built and solidly mounted to two walls in corner of shop with a gusseted 4x4 leg. It doesn't move.

I try to load at a moderate pace and focus on seating the primer with the same amount of force each time, I can generally feel when something is wrong such as primer bouncing out of/missing cup and catch it at station 2.

Thanks to everyone.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Let me finish this out.

I still had problems despite completely tearing down and realigning everything from the gitgo.

Turns out that what I had thought would help solve the problem did not. Let me explain.

On the instructions for the casefeeder it tells you to adjust the casefeed plunger by start with the cam pushed all the way back toward the post support and pull the operating handle down until the roller
    just reaches the center of the flat on the cam. Then slide the cam forward until it just barely touches the roller and tighten the two mounting bolts on the cam.

I had done this and every third or so case would still require me to push the case further into the shellplate to seat the case. I figured the case was popping back after depriming, so I tried tightening the shellplate - nope.

Then I got the idea that what I needed was the casefeed plunger to come further forward to shove the case into the shellplate on the upstroke. I adjusted the cam so the casefeed plunger was just out of contact. Problem continued.

Then I went to the troubleshooting section and found this: Fine Adjustment of Cam: If you are experiencing a problem with the case not feeding all of the way into the shellplate (and/or sizing die) or bouncing back out of the shellplate, you will need to fine adjust the cam for each and every caliber that you are loading. You will want to start with a case from the caliber you are preparing to load in the first station of the shellplate. In the following procedure you will practically repeat the steps for setting up the cam on initial installation with the exception of letting the plunger rest on the case in the shellplate instead of the housing. Pull the operating handle down until roller on casefeed plunger reaches about the center of the flat on the cam and the plunger is resting on the case in the shellplate. Loosen the cam and slide it in or out until it is just barely touching the roller, then re-tighten the mounting bolts on the cam, be sure not to release the handle until tightened.

Nope.

Finally called Dillon earlier today - Monday and Tuesday I was out of contact due to family stuff - and was told to move the cam all the way forward and adjust backwards by increments until it worked smoothly. The man I talked to said on the 550 they had set up with a casefeed the cam was completely forward.

It worked perfectly with the casefeed cam pulled all the way forward, so I didn't fiddle with it to see how far back I could go.

If anyone else has this problem, that is what solved it. Learned a lot, my 550 is immaculate,freshly greased and perfectly aligned. I can take it apart and put it back together again in a flash, plus I final got everything I need to do so neatly arranged.

Most important lesson - call Dillon earlier in the process.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Let me finish this out.

I still had problems despite completely tearing down and realigning everything from the gitgo.

Turns out that what I had thought would help solve the problem did not. Let me explain.

On the instructions for the casefeeder it tells you to adjust the casefeed plunger by start with the cam pushed all the way back toward the post support and pull the operating handle down until the roller
    just reaches the center of the flat on the cam. Then slide the cam forward until it just barely touches the roller and tighten the two mounting bolts on the cam.

I had done this and every third or so case would still require me to push the case further into the shellplate to seat the case. I figured the case was popping back after depriming, so I tried tightening the shellplate - nope.

Then I got the idea that what I needed was the casefeed plunger to come further forward to shove the case into the shellplate on the upstroke. I adjusted the cam so the casefeed plunger was just out of contact. Problem continued.

Then I went to the troubleshooting section and found this: Fine Adjustment of Cam: If you are experiencing a problem with the case not feeding all of the way into the shellplate (and/or sizing die) or bouncing back out of the shellplate, you will need to fine adjust the cam for each and every caliber that you are loading. You will want to start with a case from the caliber you are preparing to load in the first station of the shellplate. In the following procedure you will practically repeat the steps for setting up the cam on initial installation with the exception of letting the plunger rest on the case in the shellplate instead of the housing. Pull the operating handle down until roller on casefeed plunger reaches about the center of the flat on the cam and the plunger is resting on the case in the shellplate. Loosen the cam and slide it in or out until it is just barely touching the roller, then re-tighten the mounting bolts on the cam, be sure not to release the handle until tightened.

Nope.

Finally called Dillon earlier today - Monday and Tuesday I was out of contact due to family stuff - and was told to move the cam all the way forward and adjust backwards by increments until it worked smoothly. The man I talked to said on the 550 they had set up with a casefeed the cam was completely forward.

It worked perfectly with the casefeed cam pulled all the way forward, so I didn't fiddle with it to see how far back I could go.

If anyone else has this problem, that is what solved it. Learned a lot, my 550 is immaculate,freshly greased and perfectly aligned. I can take it apart and put it back together again in a flash, plus I final got everything I need to do so neatly arranged.

Most important lesson - call Dillon earlier in the process.
    That’s great that they were able to help you finish troubleshooting it! Most of us are DIY types who want to fix stuff ourselves, but the folks at Dillon have heard it all and can usually come up with the right fix quickly. Glad you got it all sorted!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    That’s great that they were able to help you finish troubleshooting it! Most of us are DIY types who want to fix stuff ourselves, but the folks at Dillon have heard it all and can usually come up with the right fix quickly. Glad you got it all sorted!
    Well, I got the primer feed problem worked out, but being a DIY'er, I decided that $3.50 for a bushing washer that my hardware store savant, Matthew, found for me would be better than spending $49.00 for the fancy thrust bearing to make the shellplate rotate smoother.

Thought it was working good, noticed that the Winchester WLP's were seating not seating deep enough, hmmm. Went to the Brian Enos and Dillon forum sites and found the same description of how to adjust the primer seating punch on both sites, so there you go. Mine was at 1.213ish which was short, the parts drawing shows between 1.215 and 1.220. Following the instructions from the forums, I adjusted it, after much cussing and trial and error, to about 1.217. Throw everything back together, and presto-chango, same problem. Covered the 550 and decided to call Dillon in the morning.

The guy in technical support explained that what I was doing had no impact on seating depth. I'm not bright so he patiently explained it in terms I understood. As we worked through the check-list he asked me if I had any aftermarket parts, indicating that a lot of times the thrust bearing was the root of this problem. I explained that I had a stainless, machined bushing, not a thrust bearing. He said take it off and see how it works. Well I couldn't see it, I had no up and down slop when pressing on the shell plate between stations 2 and 3, the shell plate was rotating smoothly, etc. He said, that's all I got, don't know why, try it and we parted ways. (don't get me wrong in the paraphrase - very nice, very helpful, but I didn't buy it)

Well, WTF, I might as well do what he said. Removed the bushing and primers were seated more to my liking. Of course there is just a little up and down when I press down on the shell plate between stations 2 and 3, and the shell plate doesn't rotate quite as smoothly, but seems to be working. Blasted through all the .45 brass I had sorted and cleaned.

TLDR - call Dillon tech support if you are having a problem, listen to what they have to say.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 02-03-19 at 14:35.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12