Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Criterion vs FN CHF Barrels

Feedback Score
    I think it would help if you spec’d out accuracy requirements and what you plan to do with the rifle.
    Hike, bench shoot, 50yd in machinegun barrel, 3 gun?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    If you're going to feed it junk, the Criterion will eat and print well some of the worst 55gr reman I've ever seen. They are an excellent value.

FN CHF's often shoot very well if built properly (2 big problems is people overestimate their building and shooting prowess). Most of mine will print duty ammo 1.25 MOA or better and match is often MOA or better. You're not going to get benchrest-grade groups but they will take you to the limit of 5.56/.223 in an AR and beyond.

To say that CHF barrels can't shoot is a lie. Sako/Tikka, HK and FN have long since proven otherwise.

Someone else said it on the boards earlier...there probably aren't that many "bad" barrels out there. Bad builds, bad shooters, bad ammo, bad optics don't get their fair share of the blame.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 01-21-19 at 09:33.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the Input. Rainer Arms had a sale on their house branded FN CHF Barrels for $150.

I used to think CHF was worth it but after talking to barrel makers as said before, the only thing you gain is longevity and lose accuracy potential. Criterion CL barrels looked really accurate and more consistent based off their YouTube video: Criterion vs CHF. Tho $140 difference is quite a bit for .4 moa probably.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldnBullet View Post
    Thanks for the Input. Rainer Arms had a sale on their house branded FN CHF Barrels for $150.

I used to think CHF was worth it but after talking to barrel makers as said before, the only thing you gain is longevity and lose accuracy potential. Criterion CL barrels looked really accurate and more consistent based off their YouTube video: Criterion vs CHF. Tho $140 difference is quite a bit for .4 moa probably.
    That is not true. If you lose accuracy potential then why on earth would FN use their hammer forged barrels in the precision bolt action SPR that is in use with the FBI HRT? As I said before in previous threads CHF barrel manufactures CAN pick and choose how much accuracy potential they want in a CHF blank to have based things like mandrel replacement intervals and how much QC they want to pour into the barrel.

Not to mention Daniel Defense who recently released their precision bolt action using their CHF barrels.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-23-19 at 02:05.

Feedback Score
    Are the $150 FN barrels listed as match grade? If they aren't, then they probably are not.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldnBullet View Post

The Rainier FN "mountain" barrels do fine; I've had 2. Mine shoot some ammo extremely well and pretty much hold everything in 1.5 MOA.

Just find something with the chamber/barrel length/profile/gas system you like and go shoot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Everything I have read indicates the barrels should be practically identical in accuracy with similar QC in place. The hammer forging equipment is more costly than traditional barrel making gear, but can be amortized via higher production volume which works for a large manufacturer while most custom shops won't have the volume to absorb the equipment cost.

Other than that, I have heard the chf is more resistant to bursting from obstructions. Not sure how valid that is, but have wondered if that could be the magic sauce in the HK 416 versus Colt M4 video instead of the gas system.

Also, at least in theory, a chf barrel should cost less than a traditional barrel due to the higher production volume. Similar to a forged versus stamped receiver cost difference.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 01-23-19 at 10:49.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    QC has nothing to do with the barrel accuracy - it only confirms that some part falls within a required specification.
    Previously (during WWI/WWII years), QC basically determined if barrel falls within a tighter specs it was sent to a sniper line for evaluation. If test fire confirmed its capabilities it was made into a sniper variant of the rifle. If not, back to the generic line.

No magic source in HK416 - it has to do with the overall system design and not particularly one component.

Most accuracy has to do with the processes and standards. Can CHF barrels be more accurate than other types? Absolutely! I've never understood why people claimed one vs the other. If smaller precision oriented companies had an access to experiment more with CHF process I'm 100% sure that they would have perfected it after a few iterations to achieve the same accuracy their existing methods.

However, when we're purely discussing an off the shelf barrel (chf or otherwise) vs a precision oriented product (Criterion/Noveske/Lilja/else) latter will always be better in terms of accuracy and longevity given the same materials. On average out of 100 barrels second type will always outperform the first kind.

Buying a generic mass produced FN/Palmetto/AR Stoner(midway)/Bear Creek *special* on sale and thinking that it will be just as accurate or durable as Criterion or Noveske which costs more 2x-3x more is simply false. Can you be lucky and get a good one? Yes. Can you get a bad Noveske - yes, I've heard people complaining about them as well getting 1.5-2 MOA accuracy.

Although I haven't done the testing, I'm confident that on average with copper jacketed ammo, a Criterion(or Noveske and such) chrome-lined barrel will last at least as long as a generic CHF FN chrome-lined and be more accurate over its lifespan. If you start comparing different steels and linings/coatings, that would not be an accurate comparison. Criterion/Noveske/other quality CL barrel will last longer simply because CL will be more even and chip less vs a budget barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Who makes Noveske chf barrels?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Who makes Noveske chf barrels?
    lol...FN

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast