Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gunshop says 6920’s are not made by Colt?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    I didn't know Colt was infected with the UAW.

The UAW is a cancer to this country's manufacturing heart, and like all cancers it needs to die.

I won't buy a car made by their hand, and while I would have liked a new Cobra or King Cobra, there is no way in hell I'll buy one now. At least not until they start showing up second hand in quantities.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    Did you buy these From Arms Unlimited?
    Do the rifles have FDE Cerakote receivers (hence "FDEC") like this? If so, that could be the source of the confusion. I've read, but can't confirm, that those were part of a small, limited Colt contract run that fell through and apparently AU bought them. AU was selling them for $700 so your LGS could've thought the deal was too good to be true.

Yes that's the rifle for the most recent transfer however the first one was a standard black 6920. The guys at this store are pretty good and I rarely hear the typical A is better than B and we only sell A attitude. Like the rest of us they can be wrong sometimes, I just wanted make sure I was getting what I thought I was getting. I'll also mention nicely some of the comments here.
    Last edited by bobco; 01-20-19 at 13:04.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Some shops are completely clueless
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If it says COLT right there on the lower and the upper is Colt they're idiots. Now, I could see a little confusion with the FDE receivers but they still say COLT on the receivers. They wouldn't have any excuse on the all black rifle unless they had some reason to believe that the upper had been swapped with another brand.

I think I would just laugh it off unless they keep saying stuff. The joke's on them anyway.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    So who does make te Expanse and Competition rifles? I've read and seen some of the differences but don't know the answer.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    So who does make te Expanse and Competition rifles? I've read and seen some of the differences but don't know the answer.
    Colt Competition,I think, out of Breckenridge, Texas. They are now out of business.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    A company called Colt Competition LLC/Bold Ideas Texas, made both. A couple years ago they went bankrupt:

Last year, Colt Competition manufactured and sold some forty thousand AR-15s. When Donald Trump was elected, sales dropped like a stone. The gunmaker has been struggling to sell 500 rifles per month lately. And then Uncle Sam came knocking . . . wondering where it could go to collect some $2 million in back taxes for Colt Competition’s banner year. The answer: nowhere. The same place Colt Competition is today.

Colt Competition — which licensed its name from Colt Manufacturing LLC (which has no financial interest in Colt Competition) — is no more. The Breckenridge, Texas-based rifle maker has ceased production and dismissed over 70 employees.

Although Colt Competition has a substantial inventory of partially completed rifles, no parts supplier will touch them. The guns can’t be completed.

Given the moribund market for modern sporting rifles, the chances that Colt Competition will rise from the ashes are slim to none, and Slim just left town.

Colt Competition traces its roots back to 2009, when tech entrepreneur Charlie Lake purchased Warne Scope Mounts. Mr. Lake bought one of Warne’s parts makers and tasked them with building rifles as Colt Competition.

Mr. Lake sold Warne in 2013 and moved the then-successful Colt Competition factory to Texas — just in time for the first great AR-15 sales crash.

“It took us two-and-a-half years to get ourselves out of the hole,” Colt Competition VP Dave Wilcox told TTAG. “But we never got fully out of debt.”

The 43-year-old Army vet and former Kimber employee predicted Donald Trump’s victory in the last presidential election. But his company wasn’t prepared for an 80 percent drop in sales. The tax bill was the straw that broke the ailing camel’s back.

As we wrote earlier, the AR-15 market is in free-fall, with significantly more supply than demand. “If we’re down, everybody’s down,” Wilcox said. “It’s going to be a tough year.”

Colt Competition sold superb rifles — all guaranteed and shot to sub-MOA standards. The company’s staff were unfailingly polite and professional. The market may not miss the brand, but its satisfied customers will

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ss-first-many/

Annnnd, as I understand it the folks holding the debt from the bankruptcy sued Colt for cutting back on the number of Expanses that Colt had contracted with them to make for Colt:

Colt’s Manufacturing is in hot water: A lawsuit filed in the District Connecticut court by finance company Prestige Capital is targeted at the gunmaker, with the aim of recouping half a million dollars plus legal fees and interest over what the plaintiff claims was a breach of contract during the production of the Expanse Carbine. The suit follows Colt’s scaling back of a contract for the Colt Expanse, a budget priced Colt-branded carbine whose production was farmed out to Bold Ideas, also known as Colt Competition. Colt’s contract with Bold Ideas allowed them to scale back production of the rifles – originally set at 6,000 to be delivered each quarter – but required 60 days’ notice. According to a letter cited in the suit, which was filed at the end of June, Colt scaled back production to 2,400 units per quarter “immediately” in March.

Bold Ideas had sold its assets to Prestige Capital in 2014, in return for an advance. Prestige Capital is seeking to have Colt pay the allegedly missing final payment of $500,000 for the minimum purchase order to Bold Ideas of Expanse carbines, plus interest and legal fees. Bold Ideas/Colt Competition went bankrupt earlier this year. The company originated in Oregon as Chazkat, LLC, and then moved to Texas in 2013.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...tion-cutbacks/
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkmagurk View Post
    This has been discussed here before. Colt has been outsourcing major parts for some time now. They filed bankruptcy and laid off a good number of their employees. They outsourced to other vendors to cut their costs down. I’m not saying they aren’t quality rifles, many other highly regarded companies do the same thing i.e. BCM. You will find some people get defensive when you talk about a certain company/brand, but facts are facts.

With the way industry is going, most companies (that I see) are moving in this direction of specialization, not diversification.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just to save time and internet aggravation, they are made by..... my mom. That’s right, my mom actually makes Colt rifles. She builds them all up in her free time in my old bedroom, which is why Colt barrels all shoot so well.

This reply makes as much sense as the rest, and more than your gunshop.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast