Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Mebbe time to say farewell to AK rifles..?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    Well in all honesty, given what is going on with the country- probably a good time to consolidate.
    Came to that conclusion several years ago.

AR15s / G19 / 590s with a couple of outliers for fun or nostalgia. Mags, ammo, parts, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    Reliability still remains my primary criteria above all else. I do respect that others may feel differently.

M
    Thirty years ago, with beat .mil mags with the flat black followers, I would agree AKs had an edge in reliability.

But with non tilt followers and various modern magazines, and a variety of ammo, I am not seeing any significance in reliability between the two.

I hammered out my last M4 to two barrel changes over an eight year period. Obviously a much higher round count than I am doing with my own money in civilian life. The gun was running with one, then a second broken bolt lug over a two week training event and it finished the event before I changed it out. I have built or purchased two dozen ARs and never had one not run from the get go. I have purchased half a dozen AKs new and had one that had to be sent back to function.

If you are running a joint ST6 OGA op with your crew of indigs and run a tarted up AK for mag and ammo compatibility with your boys and also don’t like drawing fire because your AR stands out, cool. But reliability between the two has been based out multiple times in these modern days,
    And you may find the results surprising.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    I am not seeing any significance in reliability between the two.
    I have to concur. I never did get either rifle down in the mud or dragged across the beach. I don't think most civilians will. The most I can say is I've been caught in sandstorms with both types of weapons. The AK worked fine with sand coating the FCG; the AR kept the sand out in the first place. I've never had an issue with a top tier AR's reliability. I have neglected to clean AR's as much as I used to neglect my AK's, and I don't feed them crappy steel-cased ammo. I can honestly say that had I known my shitty Bushmasters were not representative of a "good" AR twenty years ago I might have given up AK's long before I did.

Feedback Score
    I've been seriously considering standardizing on AUG's and Glock's myself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I likely that a lot. It’d be cool to have one in both 7.62 and 5.56.
    Like this?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Zastava is allegedly releasing AKs with non-922r tomfoolery triggers and such.

Part of me wants a woodstock one just to have so I can hang out on pig hunts wearing euro camo and adidas track pants and blasting Remove Kebab

Dunno if I would actually buy it but maybe yeah

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

Part of me wants a woodstock one just to have so I can hang out on pig hunts wearing euro camo and adidas track pants and blasting Remove Kebab

Zastava is supposed to be opening a location here in the US, like CZ. No t sure if that has anything to do with 922r though

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Zastava is supposed to be opening a location here in the US, like CZ. Not sure if that has anything to do with 922r though
    It has everything to do with 922r, they can 'build' the rifles here and no longer have to worry about a lot of it.

Same reason HK, FN, and others have done it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

They would still have to have some 922r parts even if made here if using foreign parts. There is no way around it with exception of imported pistols and braces but braces will be next on the chopping block.

Feedback Score
    I’m surprised there is not some AK shop engraving “made in USA” on a bunch of parts they brought over.

In another thread discussing the ARX, we are talking about platforms that are upgrades or replacements for the AR.

I did not find the SIG556 an improvement over the AR.
    But I will have to say, my best AK is...
    A SIG556R.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast