Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Mebbe time to say farewell to AK rifles..?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    I love AKs.

I am not going to try and tell you how awesome they are.

I have several.

But the reality is,
    Back in the 80s it did not really matter if you had an AR, AK, HK, AUG, FAL or whatever.

Optics were limited. Modern slings had not been sorted out. Most ammo and LBE type equipment were not conducive to rapid manual of arms. Lights, lasers, etc. had not really taken off.

When you choice was a 500 dollar SP1 with standard black, flat follower magazines or a 150$ AK with far less mag based MFs, and sub 10c/round ammo,
    And then current additions and tactics, it was a great option.

The difference between optimal set up and ergonomics is much more drastic now.

You can outfit any of those weapons you listed with modern optics, suppressors, or rails if needed. Some obviously a little more easier to do so then others. So in my estimation, it would take a completely new weapon design, such as an advanced AR18 type adopted across the board by our own military- to justify leaving available proven systems. Until then, streamline to what you like. Personally, for now my modernized AUG's serve as my "AR18" type rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    What do I need an IR designator for?

I'm thinking something like an actual modernized rail system if you want to keep AK's as your go to rifles.

https://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?...egory&path=133
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 01-31-19 at 11:44.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I always thought the whole Vietnam War pick up AK was cool. Had a no joke Norinco. Made pew pew sounds, posed in the mirror like a goofy kid, shot it a few times, realized I will never be Roy Benavidez murdering Charlie. Sold it. Got a real gun I actively shoot.

Learned from the experience.

But the M1 Garand does open up the possibility that I may have to go back in time and bayonet charge a thousand screaming chinamen with a bayonet almost as long as a sword and nobody can take that away from me.

I even rethink the pending Galil release. Yeah it looks cool but I’m never going to be part of Stony Man ranch.

Guns like these are like sports cars. Either for the really old or really young.

Because a real Spetsnaz dude is somewhere in multicam with an HK416 not thinking twice about nothing

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

Guns like these are like sports cars. Either for the really old or really young.

Because a real Spetsnaz dude is somewhere in multicam with an HK416 not thinking twice about nothing
    And that kind of sez it all. I never understood the mystique of owning a motorcycle, but millions of middle-aged bikers just cain't be wrong.

I was too young to worry about it, but yeah, I would have gone to Canada rather than Vietnam. Years later I would have signed up for the GWOT without hesitation, but by then I was too old.

So now I own the "military weapon" I couldn't carry in childhood and was too old to be issued by Uncle Sam in adulthood. Didn't own my first "assault rifle" until I was 28. Never been without one since.

Guess my AR is my motorcycle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    You can outfit any of those weapons you listed with modern optics, suppressors, or rails if needed. Some obviously a little more easier to do so then others. So in my estimation, it would take a completely new weapon design, such as an advanced AR18 type adopted across the board by our own military- to justify leaving available proven systems. Until then, streamline to what you like. Personally, for now my modernized AUG's serve as my "AR18" type rifles.

I'm thinking something like an actual modernized rail system if you want to keep AK's as your go to rifles.

https://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?...egory&path=133
    Optic fits on the side mount. Flashlight...small accessory rail. What is there that for "go to"?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I always thought the whole Vietnam War pick up AK was cool. Had a no joke Norinco. Made pew pew sounds, posed in the mirror like a goofy kid, shot it a few times, realized I will never be Roy Benavidez murdering Charlie. Sold it. Got a real gun I actively shoot.

Learned from the experience.

But the M1 Garand does open up the possibility that I may have to go back in time and bayonet charge a thousand screaming chinamen with a bayonet almost as long as a sword and nobody can take that away from me.

I even rethink the pending Galil release. Yeah it looks cool but I’m never going to be part of Stony Man ranch.

Way over thinking it ! Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it! If not get something else!

Feedback Score
    Something something old and can’t do . . .

False

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 96 SS View Post
    Something something old and can’t do . . .

False

That's the bleeding edge of 1940's technology made to function in obsolete battle conditions- like arctic trench warfare, all while looking cool in the mirror.

Not a real rifle, with far more advanced jazzy mobility scooter ease of use 1950's ergonomics- preferred by the young and old.

M
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 01-31-19 at 13:16.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    If I need to use 762x39, I'll scavenge an AK from the dead outside my perimeter.

This is what I was thinking.

That said, I wouldn't turn down a good deal on one I guess. I'm curious though, seems like some of you guys must have a damn storage facility for all the different accessories, mags, and ammo. I have ARs in 5.56, 6.8, and 7.62, and my biggest impediment to picking up an AK variant is stocking yet another pile of ammo. It was for collection, I get that aspect of it, but I like to have a few thousand rounds at least for everything I can imagine fighting with.

I guess the point/question I'm getting to is: given the superiority of the AR platform, if you weren't already invested in having AKs as fighting guns, why would you now?

I know this is a little off of OPs question, it's just what I've been kicking around browsing the thread.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
    This is what I was thinking.

That said, I wouldn't turn down a good deal on one I guess. I'm curious though, seems like some of you guys must have a damn storage facility for all the different accessories, mags, and ammo. I have ARs in 5.56, 6.8, and 7.62, and my biggest impediment to picking up an AK variant is stocking yet another pile of ammo. It was for collection, I get that aspect of it, but I like to have a few thousand rounds at least for everything I can imagine fighting with.

I guess the point/question I'm getting to is: given the superiority of the AR platform, if you weren't already invested in having AKs as fighting guns, why would you now?

I know this is a little off of OPs question, it's just what I've been kicking around browsing the thread.
    Guns go in the safe. Ammo sits in the basement along with mags. Doesn't take up much space considering it's a full size basement
    Last edited by Arik; 01-31-19 at 13:38.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Guns go in the safe. Ammo sits in the basement along with mags. Doesn't take up much space considering it's a full size basement
    Well I get that not everyone is subject to my storage or budget requirements, and a few boxes of a thousand rounds can stack neatly. In truth, if I really wanted one, I'm sure I could justify it to myself. I mean, with the AR market as it is, would you even bother to invest time, money, and energy into the AK platform for self-defense or SHTF? If you hadn't already?

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast