Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Mebbe time to say farewell to AK rifles..?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
    Well I get that not everyone is subject to my storage or budget requirements, and a few boxes of a thousand rounds can stack neatly. In truth, if I really wanted one, I'm sure I could justify it to myself. I mean, with the AR market as it is, would you even bother to invest time, money, and energy into the AK platform for self-defense or SHTF? If you hadn't already?
    I was into AKs before ever even firing an AR. Over the years I've switched to ARs but I couldn't give you an exact reason why. But I'm pretty much middle of the road kinda guy and don't get too hung up over small differences.

While I totally get the budget part I just don't see the big deal. I'm not expecting a world collapse tomorrow or next week so if I buy the rifle I don't need to pick up 5k rounds at the same time. I started with 500 to see what the AR was all about. I already had a large stash of 7.62x39 and 5.45 so if I don't add another case it won't exactly make a big difference. After the 500 I bought a case, then took some classes. Then another case. Slowly I acquired more. Then a little bit of each.

And I got into all this kinda recently. Wasn't exactly buying cases of 7.62x39 for $89! Some time around 2007 or so when I really started getting into firearms. Didn't get into ARs until 2012 or so

The AR market is great but I'm just not that into the whole thing (ARs, AKs, Glocks....the whole thing). My ARs are Colt simply because I got them cheaper as police trades. If I find a BCM for close to the same price I'd grab it but otherwise I'm more than happy with my scratched up OEM 6920 with their factory triggers and factory handguards
    Last edited by Arik; 01-31-19 at 13:55.

Feedback Score
    I guess the point/question I'm getting to is: given the superiority of the AR platform, if you weren't already invested in having AKs as fighting guns, why would you now?

It's simply not worth the risk of losing one's faith.

M
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 01-31-19 at 14:02.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    It's simply not worth the risk of losing one's faith.

M
    I said I didn't own any, not that I didn't have any experience with the platform. And yes, I realize that while my post stated it matter-of-fact, it is a subjective evaluation. I'm not sure any advice transcends "roll with what you're comfortable using." But I think the better argument in the context of defensive rifles in the US civilian market, is for the AR. So arguments about collection or nostalgia aside, I don't see myself getting into AK. And I am genuinely curious as to why someone would, given that they hadn't already.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    6.8 is the answer to everything.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96 SS View Post
    Something something old and can’t do . . .

False

I likely that a lot. It’d be cool to have one in both 7.62 and 5.56.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I don’t even know WTF you’re on about half the time 7N6.

I like AKS. I have them in 5.45, 5.56, 7.62x39, and when all is said and done my FPK is a big AK in 7.62x54R.

Outfitted in various wood, polymer, metal, side mounts, top cover adapters, etc.

The cost advantage of AK vs AR is no more.
    The ammo cost advantage is no more.
    The cost to outfit, and end result of outfitting is a cost disadvantage.
    The suitability of very offset optics or ability to co-witness is a disadvantage.
    Modern magazine followers make reliability comparisons mute.
    Cost for cost accuracy is a disadvantage.

Manual of arms and ergonomics are a disadvantage. No matter how fast you get with an AK or your AUG, you can be faster with an AR.

I love and have cars with carburetors and manual transmissions as well. But I could hop in my Hemi Challenger or Coyote Mustang and out perform them with a lot of advantages. Sure, I can do upgrades and fuel delivery changes and new suspension and frame installs, and get the performance and handling on par, then Spend a ton more to get the same safety, convenience, comfort, etc. but it’s not an advantage to do so.

Right now, the AR owns ergonomics for selector and mag release. You could improve the charging handle and BHO/BR ergonomics. You could improve portability with a true folding stock compatible operating system. Some would argue for better ambidextrous, barrel changes, etc. but half the endeavors shot themselves in the foot doing that and failed to do core issues.

Every other platform I have tried has a variety of disadvantages. Ranging from the magwell not being 100% compatible with what you can stick in an AR, to less ergonomic selector, less accuracy, less ergonomic mag release, very high rail CS stock height, expense, trigger, non compatible/non changeable pistol grip, shitty intrinsic sights, top rail durability, and I could keep going.

How many platforms have fallen by the wayside on those endeavors?
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    So arguments about collection or nostalgia aside, I don't see myself getting into AK. And I am genuinely curious as to why someone would, given that they hadn't already.

Reliability still remains my primary criteria above all else. I do respect that others may feel differently.

M
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 01-31-19 at 16:16.

Feedback Score
    +1 for a red dot.
    I’ve tried variations on irons on my AKs including high contrast paint and aftermarket parts.
    None were as effective for me as a cheap red dot or magnified optic.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    That said, I wouldn't turn down a good deal on one I guess. I'm curious though, seems like some of you guys must have a damn storage facility for all the different accessories, mags, and ammo. I have ARs in 5.56, 6.8, and 7.62, and my biggest impediment to picking up an AK variant is stocking yet another pile of ammo. It was for collection, I get that aspect of it, but I like to have a few thousand rounds at least for everything I can imagine fighting with.
    While I wouldn't turn down a SCREAMING deal on a quality AK, at this point I no longer have need for something that I really don't want - unless I can shoot it, decide to sell it, and make some money if I don't want it. But just a standard good to fair deal, it's not worth the time, ammo, and such to pick up an AK. I don't need different mags, ammo, and such.

I've shot AKs, I appreciate them for what they are, but if I need once, I'll scavenge one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    While I wouldn't turn down a SCREAMING deal on a quality AK, at this point I no longer have need for something that I really don't want - unless I can shoot it, decide to sell it, and make some money if I don't want it. But just a standard good to fair deal, it's not worth the time, ammo, and such to pick up an AK. I don't need different mags, ammo, and such.

I've shot AKs, I appreciate them for what they are, but if I need once, I'll scavenge one.
    Well in all honesty, given what is going on with the country- probably a good time to consolidate.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 02-01-19 at 06:18.

Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast