Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best spring for extractor

Feedback Score

Best spring for extractor

What is considered the best spring/system for the extractor on the AR system? I have seen Mil Spec springs touted as best, but then I read that they should be used with the insert and/or donut o-ring enhancement system. I ordered a Tubbs buffer flat spring a while back that came with some paperwork that suggested the Tubbs extractor spring that says "doesn't require inserts or other gimmicks".
    What do you run as far as extractor springs, etc. This will be in my Duty/SRT M4.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Don't know about best, but I run BCM springs with donut in all my 5.56 guns.
    No complaints, no issues.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Do you recommend replacing the spring as routine maintenance, or only if you start to encounter malfunctions?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    SD guns I'll change out springs every 3K rds, which is an arbitrary number I'm comfortable with. Frankly I have only done this twice, as I have a number of AR's.
    In other words; my SD guns are shot relatively little, range/competition guns see the bulk of abuse.
    Range guns I just run 'til there's a problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by La26 View Post
    What is considered the best spring/system for the extractor on the AR system? I have seen Mil Spec springs touted as best, but then I read that they should be used with the insert and/or donut o-ring enhancement system. I ordered a Tubbs buffer flat spring a while back that came with some paperwork that suggested the Tubbs extractor spring that says "doesn't require inserts or other gimmicks".
    What do you run as far as extractor springs, etc. This will be in my Duty/SRT M4.
    Are you experiencing an extractor issue? Is this an SBR? What you have may work.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    I am currently running the original spring with a donut o-ring. Bushmaster Patrol Rifle 16 inch bbl, m-4 configuration. I shoot it for SRT training, twice a month about 100 to 300 rounds a month, and occasional Tactical Class which might add another 500 to 700 rounds to the round count. No problems yet, but just wanted to see if I should upgrade to make sure the rifle remains 100%.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Don't know about best, but I run BCM springs with donut in all my 5.56 guns.
    No complaints, no issues.
    SD guns I'll change out springs every 3K rds, which is an arbitrary number I'm comfortable with. Frankly I have only done this twice, as I have a number of AR's.
    In other words; my SD guns are shot relatively little, range/competition guns see the bulk of abuse.
    Range guns I just run 'til there's a problem.
    Agreed on all accounts.

I am currently running the original spring with a donut o-ring. Bushmaster Patrol Rifle 16 inch bbl, m-4 configuration. I shoot it for SRT training, twice a month about 100 to 300 rounds a month, and occasional Tactical Class which might add another 500 to 700 rounds to the round count. No problems yet, but just wanted to see if I should upgrade to make sure the rifle remains 100%.
    This is all you need.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I’m definitely no expert, but I believed the o rings came about from the military (Crane) trying to address extraction issues in their 10.3” rifles. The problem was increased bolt speed over a standard M4 and not enough time for the case to contract before extraction. Colt doesn’t ship with these but I understand many reputable manufacturers include them....but that may be as extra insurance.
    Last edited by OldState; 01-20-19 at 08:45.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Since ARs and AR parts currently so low, you might consider a spare BCG or at least a spare c158 bolt in your kit.
    I’m partial to BCM and have had zero problems with Toolcraft nitride BCGs/Bolt’s.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Since ARs and AR parts currently so low, you might consider a spare BCG or at least a spare c158 bolt in your kit.
    I’m partial to BCM and have had zero problems with Toolcraft nitride BCGs/Bolt’s.
    This is what I do OP.

BCGs aren’t that expensive and it my not be the spring that goes first.

I have several spare BCG’s in cold storage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast