Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt 733 Commando question

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    There were a good number of transferable stripped m16a2 lowers that were sold off to a handful of dealers in the 1990s, those trickled our and were built up by owners.
    Upon re-reading this thread I just noticed the line above.

They actually sold stripped M16A2 lowers???

thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    It has a two position collapsible buffer tube--like an A1.

At this point I have no idea what this is.

Interestingly on p, 354 of the book The Black Rifle Volume 1, there is a picture of the 700 Series A2 weapon family that shows a Colt 733 Commando with an A1 style rear sight and no forward assist.

However, on page 355 of the book there is a picture of a Colt Commando that shows an A2 style rear sight.

However the markings on the lower of the gun in question are identical to the markings of the lower in the book.

Below is a picture from the book:

Attachment 55635
    The 11.5 on page 354 has a teardrop style FA, the photo quality is just poor and it doesn't stand out well.

The gun on page 355 actually has an A1 profile lower, despite saying "M16A2" on it, which was a common thing for 733s, but usually the *earlier* production ones with A1 or C7 style uppers. 733s with A2 uppers are later production guns generally.

Also back on page 354, it's interesting to note that the 14.5" carbine, labled a 723, has an A2 upper. I thought 723s pretty consistently had A1 or C7 style uppers. It could also be a mislabeled very early production 727 though, which allegedly briefly could be had with pencil barrels before going to the stepped "M4" style.

So basically this is all just more evidence that consistency in Colt's 700-series carbines was a real shitshow.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    There isn't any mystery here.

That gun appears to be all factory. It should have a 2 position buffer tube.

The stock appears to be still staked. Look at the left side stake. The black ink edge goes across the lockring, and backplate, and lower edge of the black ink is not interrupted.

Near all Colt 700 series 14.5" and 11.5" guns are marked M16A2.

Several early 733/723 were built without a brass deflector and built with the black vinyl coated metal stock.

Some were built with bayonet lugs, but not many.
    Last edited by scottryan; 01-21-19 at 16:44.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks, Mistwolf.

To make things more interesting, I managed to find a picture of a Colt Commando receiver on my hard drive. No telling where I got it from. It is actually marked Colt Commando.

I also found a picture of an advertisement for the Colt 733 and the Colt 723, which seems to be the predecessor of the M-4.

I am attaching the pictures:

Attachment 55636

Attachment 55637

That picture of that lower looks like fake engraving.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The barrel isn't stamped anywhere--even below the handguards.
    Are you sure it is not stamped past the FSB?

Please take a picture of the barrel ahead of the FSB? Can you also take a picture of the taper pins (both ends) and measure the diameter of the barrel between the FSB and FH.
    Last edited by scottryan; 01-21-19 at 16:28.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks, Scott, you nailed it and cleared a lot of things up . Someone else pointed to the markings, but I could not see it because it is so slight and indistinct. I had to look very hard and use my Iphone to take a picture and enlarge it. It looks like a Colt marking. Below is a picture:

barrel marking.jpg
    Last edited by Ed L.; 01-21-19 at 21:28.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    On a different note, if I were to buy a select fire gun that is listed on the form as having a 11.5" barrel, what NFA paperwork would I have to do to be able to legally use a shorter barreled upper with it?

On a similar note, I have an SBR lower that is registered as having a 10.3" upper. What changes and paperwork do I need to do to enable me to use a shorter barreled upper?

thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    None. The BATF only needs to be notified if you permanently change barrel lengths. If you do make a permanent change, I believe all that's needed is a letter of notification. It's legal to swap uppers of any length to your lowers without any kind of notification.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    None. The BATF only needs to be notified if you permanently change barrel lengths. If you do make a permanent change, I believe all that's needed is a letter of notification. It's legal to swap uppers of any length to your lowers without any kind of notification.
    Thanks. I was under the impression that when you put in the paperwork to SBR an AR that you should specify the shortest barreled upper that you envisioned yourself using. And that it was okay to use a longer barreled upper, but not s shorter one.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks, Scott, you nailed it and cleared a lot of things up . Someone else pointed to the markings, but I could not see it because it is so slight and indistinct. I had to look very hard and use my Iphone to take a picture and enlarge it. It looks like a Colt marking. Below is a picture:

barrel marking.jpg

After seeing that picture of the barrel markings, what you have is either a very early 733 or very late production 639.

Most likely that barrel is 1/12 twist, not 1/7.

A 1/7 barrel would be marked C MP CB.

It would be worth getting a factory letter from Colt on it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast