Thread: Broken Pin

Feedback Score

Broken Pin

This was in a 10.5 SBR and is an AR Stoner bolt. I started having feeding issues and when disassembling the bolt found the broken pin. Is this normal for an SBR that might be harder on BCG parts, a cheap bolt or combination of both?

Ordered a BCM SOPMOD bolt upgrade kit to replace parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    I. Had the same thing happen with a PSA bolt on a 16" upper.
    Take it for what it's worth but James Yeager did some videos on batches of parts failing (since most are made by the same company) and shipped to most manufacturers.

Not sure if extractor pins are one of the bad batches.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Probably a bit of both. How many rounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Round wise as an SBR bolt, I would estimate 300, when it was in my patrol rifle before upgrading to a Colt LE 6920 for work and misc. shooting, alot is all I can say.

This is the reason I went to the Colt to get away from cheap parts.

I understand parts wear out and if I am wearing them out I would take that as a good thing.

Ill have to check Yeager's videos.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had a buddy at a cheap, but large, AR factory. I learned more from that company due to knowing its inside workings than I have from all my armorer schoolings.

All small parts are not the same, and I think we all know many of the smaller parts come from a few main suppliers. Pins and springs are horribly important, and are the same in their birthing status. Cheap bolts assembled with cheap parts are often stocked with parts which should have failed QC and been thrown in the dumpster.

Sticking with known good parts like BCM, Colt, etc, does NOT cost you more. I know that is hard for some people to imagine. Buying subcontracted junk parts isn’t saving money, it’s rolling dice and hoping.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    IIRC I had read in an old post here advising that Colt uses an S7 tool steel pin there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post

All small parts are not the same, and I think we all know many of the smaller parts come from a few main suppliers. Pins and springs are horribly important, and are the same in their birthing status. Cheap bolts assembled with cheap parts are often stocked with parts which should have failed QC and been thrown in the dumpster.

Sticking with known good parts like BCM, Colt, etc, does NOT cost you more. I know that is hard for some people to imagine. Buying subcontracted junk parts isn’t saving money, it’s rolling dice and hoping.
    I couldn't agree more Stickman!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I had a buddy at a cheap, but large, AR factory. I learned more from that company due to knowing its inside workings than I have from all my armorer schoolings.

The key to this statement, that most should heed is that there are only a few vendors for many of the small parts. So when the big boys like Colt test a batch and that batch fails, the failures get sold off to the other companies. Almost guaranteed, when you buy parts that say, “gov contract/contract overrun/mil supplier,” but the parts don’t say Colt or FNH, you’re buying trash that they rejected. Even if it doesn’t say something aluding to military pedigree, chances are high that they are actual mil supplier rejects.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    AR Stoner is garbage. It's Midways answer to all the junk peddlers.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com