Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quality semi-auto 12 gauge for home defense?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

I'm partial to the HK made early run M1 Super90 Tacticals - because you can hold that extra round in the float.

I lusted for one for 20 YEARS, before I finally landed a safe queen for $850 in '08. And now it sits at the BACK of my safe... behind 6 AR's... and a PTR-91...
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 1301T has a great stock. Nobody else is even trying in comparison.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quality semi-auto 12 gauge for home defense?

For that money you’re really easily in an FN-SLP. I’ve shot thousands upon thousands of rounds through mine in 3-gun without a single hiccup. Buckshot, birdshot, slugs, frangible, you name it. Eats it up and spits it out with good ergonomics and is easy to clean and deal with. Handled being dumped into barrels easily too. Combined with some Briley extended chokes it is tough to beat for the amount of money it costs.

I also like the system a lot of providing a post and notch for zeroing slugs, but a simple flick and you have just a dot like a regular shotgun. Easy to put a t1 on too.

I will say that unless you can really identify why, I’d avoid pistol grip type stocks on a shotgun. Shotguns are one thing humans have figured out how to fit and “almost” shoot instinctively with much more speed and accuracy than most tactical shotgun needs, and the stocks that are used that way tend to look like shotgun stocks and not the back half of a fighting carbine.

FN-SLP or SLP competition, the Beretta 1301T, the Benelli M2 and M4 with normal stocks, and so forth are great options. Everything else may or may not be great, but why play that game when there are proven well made options at a good price?
    Last edited by thopkins22; 01-22-19 at 17:56.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    I'm partial to the HK made early run M1 Super90 Tacticals - because you can hold that extra round in the float.

I lusted for one for 20 YEARS, before I finally landed a safe queen for $850 in '08. And now it sits at the BACK of my safe... behind 6 AR's... and a PTR-91...
    One popped up a few hours away from me for $1k. I want a better shotgun but its low on the priority list, does look nice though.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post

I'm reasonably certain that those weren't made by H&K, but that they were imported by HK-USA.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I'm reasonably certain that those weren't made by H&K, but that they were imported by HK-USA.
    This is true. I loved the M1 Super 90's. Although, not enough to buy one for my own.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can still find Beretta 1201FP's in the 4-500 range. Beretta branded inertia shotgun, a restyled M1. They have ghost or rifle sights. The stock sucks and is very long but Benelli stocks fit it. It's got a 6 round tube that can't be extended, but 6+1+ it can be ghost loaded. If Benelli stocks weren't so expensive I'd get a youth stock and probably enjoy it.

Feedback Score
    I have a Benelli M2 tac. Wish they'd make barrel mounted adjustable sights for a smooth bore.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If I was getting a ready to run 12 gauge semi auto for domestic purposes, I would pick the Beretta 1301 or a Benelli HANDS DOWN. The 1301 is light, compact, and has a great stock design for handling in close quarters. They also have a good reputation for reliability/quality.

The 11-87 is old tech and really a legacy design compared to something like a Versamax. Both my brother and I have a Versamax, and they have both been flawless and run everything put in them. They have a unique gas system that is exceptionally simple, reliable, and self-cleaning. They are very low recoil, but are much longer/heavier compared to a smaller 3" chamber guns like the 1301.

Feedback Score
    Agreeing with what everybody else said: I've had a Remington gas gun, and I now have a Benelli M2, and the Benelli is light-years better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast