Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BCG Questions

Feedback Score

BCG Questions

I am in the process of building my first AR. I am looking at bolt carrier groups and am having a hard time picking one. I’m looking at Spike’s Tactical, BCM, Ballistic Advantage, Sionics, and a few others. Are any of these any better than the others? Would I notice a difference between them? Are there any that I am missing?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Are any of these any better than the others?
    Y-E-S-!
    Would I notice a difference between them?
    Visually, no, not much difference, except the brand laser markings, or in the case of Sionics, IF you choose their NP3 coated BCG, which looks like NP3
    Are there any that I am missing?
    Yes. There are many quality BCGs on the market, and many more that are either suspect, or just dog poop, IMO. I think most on this forum would agree that you can't go wrong with BCM, Sionics (NP3 coated, or not), Colt, or Centurion Arms. I would ad that you could also look at ALG Defense, or Forward Controls Design (FCD). The specs might vary a little between some of them, or you might pay a little extra for a non "mil-spec" coating on a couple, but they should all be solid. If you want to take a little bit of a chance on a more affordable 'bargain' BCG, then maybe look at Toolcraft, Brownells "M16 BCG", or Stag Arms.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    BCM is my go-to BCG.

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    For a bare minimum bcg that will check every box look at Centurion Arms.

Sionics with their bare minimum basic bcg is another definite great option.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have quite a few BCGs. I have some that are not too good and quite a few that are very good Here is a list of the ones I like and use.

BCM My favorite BCGs
    Daniel Defense Beautiful machining and works well
    Colt Works great
    LMT Enhanced Sweet BCG for some rifle configurations, more durable than some

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Go with toolcraft for $70

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can spend as much money as you want buying a BCG. The mil-spec (which folks love around here until it suits them to deviate - as in carrier finishes) for the BCG is:

Bolt: made of Carpenter Technology No. 158 alloy (C-158); should be shot-peened (SP), high-pressure tested (HPT), and magnetic particle inspected (MPI) - if you want to really delve into it you can check to see if the parts are individually tested or batch tested.

Bolt Carrier: automatic carrier made of 8620 alloy; chrome-lined;

Carrier Key: made of 4130 alloy; grade 8 carrier key bolts; properly staked (mil-spec requires(d) perma-tex sealed to carrier - unknown how many do this)

These are the major check-off's that folks list. Most don't list extractor materials, etc. but there are specs for those parts.

Tool-Craft makes a perfectly acceptable product, make sure it is the C-158 bolt though, as they offer them with 9310.

BCM is a manufacturer that goes an extra step for QC: Prior to shipping, all BCM Bolt Carrier Groups are test fired for function. As such, the Bolt Carrier Group will show handling marks consistent with these quality control procedures and they are also a good choice.

Bottom line is, most folks couldn't tell one standard BCG from another if not for the logos.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 01-22-19 at 04:23.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Shot peening is much more important to bolt life than HPT. Without shot peening to stress relief the material, bolts crack more often.

The downside to HPT is that it reduces the number of over pressure events the bolt can handle before it fails by one.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-22-19 at 15:04.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    The Toolcraft BCG are $100 cheaper than BCM's. They might be great but I wonder why they're only $70?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    The Toolcraft BCG are $100 cheaper than BCM's. They might be great but I wonder why they're only $70?
    You get what you pay for.

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast