Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: BCG Questions

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    The Toolcraft BCG are $100 cheaper than BCM's. They might be great but I wonder why they're only $70?
    Because they don't have BCM lasered on the side.

Feedback Score
    I’ve read they are good BCG’s and the mil uses them for replacements but I don’t know if it’s true or if the $70 BCG is the same one contracted as the replacement.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    This subject has been discussed before and I recommend searching and reading the other threads. Lot's of good info.

Or just buy a phosphate Sionics BCG

My 2 cents, and worth $.02...

Andy

Feedback Score
    Didn’t find any confirmation on the toolcraft BCG being a mil replacement in the search.

Feedback Score
    The BCG's that I prefer:

1. SOLGW, They have a M4C 10% discount;
    2. Sionics, Standard;
    3. BCM. I would suggest you buy this BCG via Brownells. They have very good CS and usually have discount codes available.

Cheers, Steve
    Last edited by ssc; 01-22-19 at 10:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Tool-Craft makes a perfectly acceptable product, make sure it is the C-158 bolt though, as they offer them with 9310.
    AISI 9310 provides the same or better fatigue life and toughness than Carpenter 158 without being a proprietary product that can only be purchased from a sole supplier.

Just because something is in a military specification does not mean there are better products out there for the same exact job.

I'll take my bolts made from 9310 all day and pocket the change.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Toolcraft BCG are $100 cheaper than BCM's. They might be great but I wonder why they're only $70?
    Toolcraft is an OEM supplier. By theory, the quantities produced would result in lower prices.

BCM adds a step to QC in that they test fire the BCG. Hype? Legitimate QC? I don't know, but it adds cost.

By theory, prices are set at the point that goods sold equals economic gain required. If you are a volume seller you set prices lower to attract sales. 1,000 items sold at $2.00 profit gives you the same result as 100 items sold at $20.00 profit.

In order to get folks to pay more for your mass-produced product, made of essentially the same materials, and manufactured using essentially the same processes, you do things like advertise, pay attention to product presentation to the consumer (packaging) and often include stickers, etc. in the package.

Manufacturing costs vary by location, with some considerations including wages paid to workers, transportation costs for raw material, taxes and utilities.

Bottom line is, buy what you feel is the best value as an educated consumer. When I read and consider the comments and advice on this forum I look for possible bias of the advice giver - things like associations with a competing company can unconsciously sway even the most fair-minded person's point of view - and factor those into the equation when consideration.

I think Warren Buffet would buy a Toolcraft and use the savings elsewhere.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 01-22-19 at 12:09.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Shot peening is much more important to bolt life than HPT. Without shot peening to stress relief the material, bolt crack more often.

The downside to HPT is that it reduces the number of over pressure events the bolt can handle before it fails by one.
    There is that consideration - I was talking in terms of the Holy Grail of .mil-spec.

That is one of the reasons I don't shoot 5,000 rounds through my carry/HD firearms to vet them.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    AISI 9310 provides the same or better fatigue life and toughness than Carpenter 158 without being a proprietary product that can only be purchased from a sole supplier.

Just because something is in a military specification does not mean there are better products out there for the same exact job.

I'll take my bolts made from 9310 all day and pocket the change.
    As I replied to MistWolf, there is that consideration - I was talking in terms of the Holy Grail of .mil-spec.

9310 has several advantages - it is not a proprietary alloy so it is more readily available in smaller lots. An advantage for the smaller manufacturer. Theory would say that since there are multiple competing manufacturers, price would be more elastic than the price of C-158.

Folks say 9310 can be more durable than C-158, IF properly heat treated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’ve read they are good BCG’s and the mil uses them for replacements but I don’t know if it’s true or if the $70 BCG is the same one contracted as the replacement.
    The replacement parts used by the .mil are/were marked with Toolcrafts cage code: 1B1B6. This is the bolt carrier only, AFAIK. They are generally available someplace, these guys are currently out of stock:

http://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-bc...i-complete.htm

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast