Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: BCG Questions

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Eventually someone will do what KAC has alluded to being the superior test, and start x-raying bolts for inclusions and other issues instead of making them stand up to a bomb...which is needed for the MPI test to mean much.

I personally think the tests are not nearly as valuable as the material and manufacturing. And with modern metallurgy, I doubt that many bolts if any are actually actually rejected provided they were made correctly out of the correct materials/given the proper treatments.

All of my bolts are tested and so forth, but that’s because the four companies companies I trust to spec the correct materials and shot peening etc, happen to test them individually as well. I’m not sure if anything has changed at Noveske, but I would be perfectly confident with one of their batch tested bolts too.

I don’t personally see much benefit to saving $70 on something as important as a BCG. And while the TDP can be improved in almost every area, I haven’t seen any real and tangible proof that anyone has done so outside of specific use bolts and carriers like LMT and KAC have done for certain configurations.

And wiz-bang coatings never seem to fall in the category of McFarland gas rings for me. Like yeah, it’s great if done well...but you’d be hard pressed to actually miss it and there can be drawbacks.

Feedback Score
    As has already been stated many brands check all the boxes. Is that because they’re mostly made by an OEM supplier and only ad their brand/logo, QC, and marketing/packaging?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    Eventually someone will do what KAC has alluded to being the superior test, and start x-raying bolts for inclusions and other issues instead of making them stand up to a bomb...which is needed for the MPI test to mean much.
    Cool bit of info if true. I knew that Sionics does Industrial Radiography inspections on their barrels but this is the first I have heard of a company doing the same on a bolt.

Feedback Score
    If you are building a 5.56 or 300 Blackout you can't go wrong with Ballistic Advantage. I have several and haven't had any issues. On sale now and free shipping.

There other companies that offer real nice dependable BCG's if your building a 9mm, .458 SOCOM or 6.5 Grendel.

https://ballisticadvantage.com/parts...carrier-groups

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphCross View Post
    Cool bit of info if true. I knew that Sionics does Industrial Radiography inspections on their barrels but this is the first I have heard of a company doing the same on a bolt.
    They don’t do it as far as I know. They have however stated it would be the best method.

I didn’t mean to imply that it’s done...but now I know that Sionics is doing it to barrels which is awesome...it’s an innovative way to try and offer something of a truly no holds barred premium product.

Feedback Score
    If a PSA, Aero Precision, BCM, Colt,Toolcraft BCG all check the same boxes what’s the difference?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    There is that consideration - I was talking in terms of the Holy Grail of .mil-spec.
    As we're talking about the Holy Grail of Milspec, shot peening is required.

That is one of the reasons I don't shoot 5,000 rounds through my carry/HD firearms to vet them.
    Yeah, that's a lot of vetting. I vetted my Colts with just a couple of mags.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-29-19 at 10:36.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Radiography on a bolt is extreme overkill and so is HPT. Buying quality alloys with certs traceable to the mill, doing due dilligence in design and finite element analysis, and doing machining that creates repeatable and conforming parts is an order of magnitude more useful and it's putting time and money into value added activities, instead of blowing it on tests to catch shit that could have been prevented.

Quality is created during design and during manufacture. It is not created during inspection.

The statement "HPT is necessary for MPI to mean anything" is false. MPI is a highly valuable inspection technique without stressing parts to near yield.

If it weren't it wouldn't be specified as much as it is by my aerospace customers.

I do this for a living so my frame of reference and my critical scrutiny of marketing hype disguised as technical information is different.
    Last edited by Don Quijote; 01-22-19 at 17:06.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Toolcraft if you want to save money, otherwise I dont think you can beat the Sionics NP3 BCG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    If a PSA, Aero Precision, BCM, Colt,Toolcraft BCG all check the same boxes what’s the difference?
    Nothing.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast