Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Ayoob Files: "F*** You and Your Automatic Rifle!" - The Gary Fadden incident...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    No question of that. That is why I wish there was a way to put up a barrier between the two.
    I wish that, too, but prosecutions always have the potential for politics, whether the prosecutor is appointed or elected.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post

2. The shooting was the result of an escalated road rage incident where the shooter was viewed as a participant, as opposed to a home invasion situation where the homeowner is viewed as a victim. There is an an archived article that detailed it in The Washington post which I can no longer access because it is behind a paywall. From that detailed account it seems that Fadden played more of a role in the verbal and on-road aggression than Ayoob described in the article. This is why some people have issues with Ayoob--it turns out that he sometimes exaggerates, embellishes, or leaves out key facts that make it more understandable why the person got in legal trouble.
    I remember reading about this a long time ago. This seems to gloss over some of what the victim did to escalate the incident. However he still should never have been charged.
    The only people who ever testified or presented evidence that Fadden escalated the road rage were the surviving biker and the woman in the biker truck.

The jury (rightly) did not give them any ounce of credibility because they had none to begun with, as it should have been, because they were criminals by definition.

Back then, I’m guessing at least half of the people on that jury had been passed by patched bikers acting like jackasses.

ETA I’m guessing this is partly the reason Ayoob didn’t feel it was worth bringing up.
    Last edited by eightmillimeter; 01-23-19 at 00:53. Reason: ETA

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by eightmillimeter View Post
    The only people who ever testified or presented evidence that Fadden escalated the road rage were the surviving biker and the woman in the biker truck.

The jury (rightly) did not give them any ounce of credibility because they had none to begun with, as it should have been, because they were criminals by definition.

Back then, I’m guessing at least half of the people on that jury had been passed by patched bikers acting like jackasses.

ETA I’m guessing this is partly the reason Ayoob didn’t feel it was worth bringing up.
    QFT, classic victim blaming.

I also take issue with the idea that their flight caused the predator drive in the bikers. Yeah um no the bikers were just doing what oxygen thieves do and they were solely responsible for their actions.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Agreed.

A few factors about the Fadden incident:

1. It took place in the early 1980s when ARs were not the most commonly sold long arm in America, were not the most commonly carried long arm in police cars; it was a time when many police still carried revolvers, often loaded with non-hollowpoint ammo.

2. The shooting was the result of an escalated road rage incident where the shooter was viewed as a participant, as opposed to a home invasion situation where the homeowner is viewed as a victim. There is an an archived article that detailed it in The Washington post which I can no longer access because it is behind a paywall. From that detailed account it seems that Fadden played more of a role in the verbal and on-road aggression than Ayoob described in the article. This is why some people have issues with Ayoob--it turns out that he sometimes exaggerates, embellishes, or leaves out key facts that make it more understandable why the person got in legal trouble.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Very interesting story. Thanks for posting. Kinda want an Al Mar knife now....

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Just spoke with Gary at the Al Mar booth at SHOT. He is very personable and humble man. Showed me his new design which he will bring to the Blade show.

He is retired now but is still the chairman of the company.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    H&K hung a civilian out to dry? Say it ain’t so.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    H&K hung a civilian out to dry? Say it ain’t so.
    They helped pay for his legal fees. But there was a falling out down the road and he had to pay it back.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    They helped pay for his legal fees. But there was a falling out down the road and he had to pay it back.
    Thank you.

On an unrelated note, We need one of those “I am not a robot” check boxes...

Feedback Score
    This is why some people have issues with Ayoob--it turns out that he sometimes exaggerates, embellishes, or leaves out key facts that make it more understandable why the person got in legal trouble.
    Didn't Ayoob also once say that one should never use any weapon "designed" for personal defense (i.e. ARs, home defense shotguns, etc.) as a defensive weapon? I recall once hearing that having a weapon for defense strongly suggests that you have an aggressive streak and will be used as evidence that you probably provoked the situation. I can't remember if that was him, or just a running rumor in the gun community.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast