Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTUS Will Hear NYC Gun Case

Feedback Score

SCOTUS Will Hear NYC Gun Case

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...se/2482910002/

I’m wondering the implications.....
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    This is one case I wouldn't want to speculate about what the outcome might be.

Anybody with some expertise care to predict what will happen?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    About time the SC grew a pair and accepted a 2A case.
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Will Amy Barrett be conformed by then?

RBG clearly won’t be weighing in on this one, but what if it’s only 8 justices.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^^then a tie is the worst that is likely to happen

Feedback Score
    I have a feeling that this case has the highest batting average of any NY laws thus far. I'm confident this will get ruled the right way. With the exception of Roberts, the 4 conservative justices are pretty reliable on guns, and even Roberts ruled in favor of Heller and McDonald. I'm just not sure how he'll rule on carry outside the home or assault weapons though. This may be a good litmus test to see if the current make up of the court is good for further attempts at challenging anti-gun laws.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I have a feeling that this case has the highest batting average of any NY laws thus far. I'm confident this will get ruled the right way. With the exception of Roberts, the 4 conservative justices are pretty reliable on guns, and even Roberts ruled in favor of Heller and McDonald. I'm just not sure how he'll rule on carry outside the home or assault weapons though. This may be a good litmus test to see if the current make up of the court is good for further attempts at challenging anti-gun laws.
    I agree with you. Except that I want to see what Kavanaugh will do rather than speculate. I, like everyone else here, would be more comfortable with a Trump nominee replacing RBG first.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    They can definitely tailor this one narrowly and probably don't even need to address the 2nd Amendment/Heller at all to strike it down if they want, except maybe for the (constitutional) standard of review. Does the city have the right to prohibit you from removing lawfully obtained and owned property from the city? No, if other constitutional conditions generally applicable to tangible property have been met, e.g., paid taxes on it. This probably wouldn't even meet a "rational interest" standard, let alone "strict scrutiny".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    I agree with you. Except that I want to see what Kavanaugh will do rather than speculate. I, like everyone else here, would be more comfortable with a Trump nominee replacing RBG first.
    I do as well. If they can get a 6th conservative justice, and one that's reliably conservative, Roberts' flakiness will be less of a factor. Kavanaugh, on the other hand, has a pretty pro-gun track record, so I'm not too concerned about him.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    That law seems to be on pretty shaky ground, as some pointed out, it might not even be a 2A case, but in light of McDonald, I don't see hw it can stand. I think it is a good place to start- something on the edge instead of machine-guns for all or something. SCOTUS won't make big cases anyways - but we really have to get this going. People talk about RBG, but real the ticking time bomb is Thomas- and some banal part of a jet engine that carries SCOTUS members, or even a simple traffic accident.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast