Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tom Threepersons holsters?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    He also stated that the retention strap should only used when traversing rough terrain. Otherwise, the only retention would be the fit of the leather (which is more than enough in a well made holster).
    Yep

The guy knew a thing or two.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Asking purely for education:

What is the point of a holster that exposed the trigger on a double action revolver?
    I've trying to find a 60-80s Philly PD holster for a pencil barrel K frame 38spl. The holster had an angled spring loaded metal tab that was used as retention. To draw the gun the officer would put his finger inside the trigger guard, pus the tab and pull the gun.... insuring that the finger is always on the trigger!

Last edited by Arik; 01-23-19 at 16:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    What Gaijin said. It's interesting to note that Bill Jordan, in his book No Second Place Winner, considered any holster not so designed to be complete junk and unfit for duty use. He knew a thing or two about gunfighting
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    Yep The guy knew a thing or two.
    And we have learned a thing or two more since Bill Jordan's time.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    We sure have
    Last edited by Don Quijote; 01-24-19 at 05:57.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I've trying to find a 60-80s Philly PD holster for a pencil barrel K frame 38spl. The holster had an angled spring loaded metal tab that was used as retention. To draw the gun the officer would put his finger inside the trigger guard, pus the tab and pull the gun.... insuring that the finger is always on the trigger!

I believe that is know as the Audley Safety Holster- there is a company called Vintage Gunleather that makes a copy. I am unaffiliated with them and cannot comment on its (the copy's) quality.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    There's - what I'll call - a persistent rumor that Bill Jordan left the USBP and went to work for the NRA, focusing on firearm safety, after he negligently shot a fellow USBP officer.

(He was also fond of aiming for the belt buckle, which I suspect nobody worth their salt would recommend today, even acknowledging that men in Jordan's day wore the waist of their trousers much higher than we do, today.)
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Bill Jordan gave an interview to Skeeter Skelton in 1969 (http://darkcanyon.net/BillJordan_TopGun.htm) and described his holster. Its not a Threepersons design - see the linked thread above for an image from the original 1931 S.D Meyers advertising for a variety of TT holsters. They are not like the "River" holster. (http://smith-wessonforum.com/gun-lea...s-holster.html, POST #17)

"Jordan holsters are known to uniformed law enforcement officers throughout the United States as the most advanced design available to suspend a DA revolver from a Sam Browne belt. Rigidly reinforced in the belt loop area by an enclosed metal strap, the Jordan rig is rigid and unmoving, always holding the gunbutt in precisely the same relationship to the gun hand. The revolver’s trigger guard is completely exposed, and the gun is held away from the back portion of the holster well by a cunningly inserted plug of leather, allowing the trigger finger to enter the guard as the draw is commenced.

Designed by Jordan 30 years ago, this streamlined gun shuck is the standard of the U.S. Border Patrol, as well as many other top police agencies. Don Hume, the Miami Okla., leather craftsman currently makes thousands of these fast riggings annually, dubbing them the Jordan “River” holster.

For his exhibition work, Bill now uses a modification of the original Jordan rig, one that was designed by Lt. Dan Combs of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, himself an outstanding exhibition handgunner. The Combs improvement consists of a stainless steel insert throughout the complete holster, including the gun well, and the sewing of the belt tang to the belt for absolute rigidity. “This change is unnecessary for the officer who wears his belt and holster every day,” comments Jordan, “but it’s a help to me since I travel so much. My belt and holster are packed in my luggage most of the time, and the stainless steel liner prevents the holster’s being flattened out to cause binding of the gun."
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 01-24-19 at 16:29.

Feedback Score
    Some more pertinent info/history: https://revolverguy.com/fighting-lea...ordan-holster/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
    You can get the traditional strap on an El Paso Threepersons.
    I know, I've got an EPS Threepersons for my 1911's. The retention strap on the Hume holsters is riveted and allows the strap to lay better along the holster when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    There's - what I'll call - a persistent rumor that Bill Jordan left the USBP and went to work for the NRA, focusing on firearm safety, after he negligently shot a fellow USBP officer.
    The officer he negligently shot was John Rector. Rector's daughter gave an account on a firearms board regarding the incident here https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho....php?p=2384639

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post

(He was also fond of aiming for the belt buckle, which I suspect nobody worth their salt would recommend today, even acknowledging that men in Jordan's day wore the waist of their trousers much higher than we do, today.)
    Not a rumor.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...-rules.821605/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast