Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did the collapsible stock come out?

Feedback Score

When did the collapsible stock come out?

Hello,
    I'm now working on a GAU or GUU type AR-15. Trying to find a clone of the mid 90's type.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by UTShooter71 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm now working on a GAU or GUU type AR-15. Trying to find a clone of the mid 90's type.
    The first collapsible stock (1st Gen.) came out in 1965 with the Model 607. In 1966, the 2nd Gen. collapsible stock (standard 600 series aluminum Colt Carbine buttstock) came out and was used until the mid 1980's. The 3rd Gen. collapsible stock (N1 fiberlite CAR-15 stock) came out about 1984 and was used up through 2002. The 4th Gen. collapsible stock (waffle stock) has been used from 2002 to the present.

With this info, you are looking at the fiberlite CAR-15 stock. If you want a goof repro, I recommend the one from M&A Parts. It is about as close as you can get to an original Colt stock.

https://www.mapartsinc.com/shop/deta...21&iSubOne=397

I have a few of these being used. Here is one on one of my 723s.

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The GUU-5/P at least, is pretty forgiving from a cloning standpoint, since there was so much variation (A lot of them were basically frankenguns) They could have either the old coated aluminum CAR stock or the newer Fiberlite style, I've seen photos of GUUs with both, so you're covered either way.

I went with the fiberlite myself.

Just put another 165 rounds through it today in fact.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 01-23-19 at 18:59.

Feedback Score
    Are or were there any GUU rifles with the flat top upper? I am asking because I have an upper now (16" with A Frame front sight with A2 bird cage) on a standard flat top. I also have a carrying handle rear sight I could put on it as well. It looks like both Renegade04 and Circle_10's upper with the carrying handle attached.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Toward the end of the GUU's use by the USAF, in the mid 2000s or something probably, prior to transitioning over to the M4, GUUs were sometimes rebuilt with flat top uppers into configurations looking basically like an actual M4. Some of these could still be in use today.
    So while it probably wouldn't be *incorrect*, if you clone that late configuration of GUU, it's basically going to just be an M4 with an A1 lower, which somewhat defeats the purpose of building a "clone".

While almost any configuration is technically correct, the most common sort of GUU is going to have a fixed carry handle upper, and would be either a GAU carbine rebarreled with a 1/7 14.5" pencil or M4 barrel, or a 601 or 604 rifle torn apart and rebuilt as a 14.5" carbine. Less commonly, you might see a where someone simply stuck a complete 723 or 727 upper on an old style lower (slab side, partial fence or A1)

https://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/r...SAFGdeCrb.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Toward the end of the GUU's use by the USAF, in the mid 2000s or something probably, prior to transitioning over to the M4, GUUs were sometimes rebuilt with flat top uppers into configurations looking basically like an actual M4. Some of these could still be in use today.
    So while it probably wouldn't be *incorrect*, if you clone that late configuration of GUU, it's basically going to just be an M4 with an A1 lower, which somewhat defeats the purpose of building a "clone".

While almost any configuration is technically correct, the most common sort of GUU is going to have a fixed carry handle upper, and would be either a GAU carbine rebarreled with a 1/7 14.5" pencil or M4 barrel, or a 601 or 604 rifle torn apart and rebuilt as a 14.5" carbine. Less commonly, you might see a where someone simply stuck a complete 723 or 727 upper on an old style lower (slab side, partial fence or A1)

https://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/r...SAFGdeCrb.html
    Good info provided. The link does provide a lot of pics of the various GAU and GUU configurations. As Circle 10 mentioned, it could be possible that some GUUs were converted to have flat-top upper receivers when the AF transitioned to the M4. I have not seen any, even during my time in the USAF Res. from 1995-2004. All I saw was some GAUs and some GUUs and all had 604 type upper receivers. I, personally, was used a GUU-5/P at one point.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 01-24-19 at 16:01.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    I, personally, was used a GUU-5/P at one point.
    Did yours have a pencil barrel or the "M4" type?

I have zero connection to the USAF, but I do love the variation in their little mutts carbines.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Did yours have a pencil barrel or the "M4" type?

I have zero connection to the USAF, but I do love the variation in their little mutts carbines.
    14.5" 1/7 pencil barrel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    14.5" 1/7 pencil barrel.
    If I had been able to find a 14.5 1/7 pencil barrel at the time I was building my clone I probably would have gone with that instead.
    Luckily the M4 style is acceptable too.

Feedback Score
    From 2007-2012 at least 25% of our M4s had the CAR stocks. The rest were the M4 waffle types.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast