Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When did the collapsible stock come out?

Feedback Score
    Do I recall the early collapsible stocks only having two positions?
    Thanks,
    Moon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yep, two positions only.

I don't know for sure but I don't think Colt offered the factory 4-position receiver extension until the late 80s or early 90s maybe. I think it may have been one of the features included in the development of the M4.

I have heard of people drilling extra holes in the old 2-position receiver extensions to give themselves the option of intermediate stock positions though.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 02-28-19 at 07:19.

Feedback Score
    Circle', thnx.
    Always happy to find out that some of the old stuff in my head actually happens to be true.
    Ya gotta wonder why the thot' to make it adjustable didn't come a little sooner.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Circle', thnx.
    Always happy to find out that some of the old stuff in my head actually happens to be true.
    Ya gotta wonder why the thot' to make it adjustable didn't come a little sooner.
    Moon
    Colt first started with a collapsible stock in 1965 (Model 607), but it was not all that effective. It was not until the Model 609 ( XM177E1 or CAR-15) ) and 610 (XM177, GAU-5/A, or CAR-15) that a true collapsible CAR stock came about. This was in late 1966. They had, what we now call, a 2nd Generation CAR stock which was aluminum with the vinyl acetate coating and a 2-position receiver extension.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    The collapseable stocked guns showed up in that comic book with the chesty blonde sergeant giving maintenance instructions on the M16 platform (remember, it was 'the gun that didn't need cleaning), and the Army went to a lot of trouble to get around that thinking.
    Never actually saw one, except in newsreels.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Circle', thnx.
    Moon
    When the collapsible stocks first came out the idea behind it was, I think, purely related to making the weapon more compact for storage. Hence, two positions - fully extended and fully collapsed.
    Only later as things like body armor, modern shooting positions and shooters of varying physical statures began to be considered, did the idea of making the LOP adjustable to accommodate these factors come about, first via user-level modifications and later as a factory option.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    When the collapsible stocks first came out the idea behind it was, I think, purely related to making the weapon more compact for storage. Hence, two positions - fully extended and fully collapsed.
    Only later as things like body armor, modern shooting positions and shooters of varying physical statures began to be considered, did the idea of making the LOP adjustable to accommodate these factors come about, first via user-level modifications and later as a factory option.
    Not to mention that when the carbine was first introduced, it was a "one size fits all" mindset. They found out later that this was not a good idea. Taller guys were have issues with the shorter LOP and needed more adjustment to compensate for their longer reach. We shorter guys did not have any real issues with the carbines or the M16s for that matter. I know I did not and still do not.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    All that makes perfect sense, particularly the one size fits all. Oddly, the A1 stock fit me; the A2 did not; never figured why the longer stock. Thankfully the adjustable version is now with us. I like a short stock.
    Moon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12