Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best 9mm/45 1911 Magazines

Feedback Score
    My most drama free mags in 45 have been Wilson 47D's with Tripp super 7 kits and Wilson 47 7 rounders. These have been the most consistent out of all the mags I own, and I own a lot of 1911 mags. The Wilson ETM/Vickers flat wire mags I have seem to be holding up well also, but have not used them as much as the others mentioned.

Sorry, cant be of help on the 9mm mags as I don't own any.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've experienced two nuances with 9mm Tripp Cobra and Wilson ETM magazines that I usually don't see discussed. On the Tripps, I've occasionally had the top round pushed forward in the magazine pouch so that I can't load the mag into the pistol. This happens every time I do a tactical reload and have to reused the retained mag. Again, the top round shifts forward and prevents loading the mag back in the pistol.

The Wilsons feed lips hold the top round much more securely and have a ramp that presents the round higher. This avoids the above issue with the Tripp mags but requires noticeably more force to reliably feed. The Tripp mags are easier to feed, download, etc.

Since my 1911s have magwells, I've standardized on Wilson ETM for 9mm (10-round) and .45 (8-round). On the full-size 9mm which Springfield Armory ships with a 9-lb recoil spring, I switched to an 11-lb recoil spring for more reliable feeding with the ETM mags.

Other than needing a slightly stronger recoil spring to feed the 9mm, I haven't noticed any drawbacks to Wilson ETM mags. They insert fully-loaded on a closed slide, have sufficient length to avoid spring binding, have lots of basepad options and don't bulge when fully-loaded.
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 03-04-19 at 12:50.

Feedback Score
    Dawson Tactical Elites work great for me in competition.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Nothing but issues with every 47D in every gun I've tried, same with the round follower Mecgars. Always want to eject the last round in the magazine out of the the gun during feeding of the second to last round. No more early release "wadcutter" feedlip magazines for me ever.

Boring 7rd Colts with hybrid feedlips and the pimple on the follower have been perfect though.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bb223 View Post
    Nothing but issues with every 47D in every gun I've tried, same with the round follower Mecgars. Always want to eject the last round in the magazine out of the the gun during feeding of the second to last round. No more early release "wadcutter" feedlip magazines for me ever.

Boring 7rd Colts with hybrid feedlips and the pimple on the follower have been perfect though.
    Jesus , what gun and ammo are you shooting ? Ive never heard such extreme poor performance.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Jesus , what gun and ammo are you shooting ? Ive never heard such extreme poor performance.

PB
    Yeah, 47D and Mec-Gar should be righteous. It's like someone getting a bad sound out of a Les Paul and an old Marshall.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The 47D are all I used in my 1911 45s, zero experience with the 9s.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

PB
    Shit I meant Metalform, not Mec-Gar.

Anyway all the ammo I use does it, seems the hotter it is the more frequently it does it though.

All kinds of handloads from 185gr XTPs with max charges of Power Pistol, factory duplication loads with 230gr FMJs and Unique, and my "softball" loads of cast 230gr FPs with charges of PB.

Along with that Winchester "Military" 230gr ball in the brown box.

I don't know what the deal is but the Colt hybrid mags and Laka USGIs work great.

Gun is a 1991 production Springfield basic 1911-A1 with nothing done to it but routine spring replacement.

Anyway, it works 100% with the mags I used now so I'm happy. I was just giving my personal reasons for avoiding mags with "early release" feedlips.

BTW anything I should check on my pistol? Passes the extractor test just fine.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I noticed something tonight. I love my Wilson mags, they are easier to seat on the gun, but the chips are easier to load.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

PB
    It's probably due to poor barrel fit letting it unlock early.

That's more common than not, even in $3,4K+ pistols.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast