Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mexico Ranchers on the Border - Crisis

Feedback Score
    We have a military academy in Roswell, New Mexico which was founded in 1891. In March of 1916 following the Villa raid at Columbus, NM on the border, that school sent a platoon of 4 motorcycles with machine guns mounted on the sidecars, manned by student cadets. New Mexico Military Institute (NMMI) joined the New Mexico National Guard in defending the border. I give lectures to ROTC cadets at this school about my Army history. Here's a vintage image of these cadets from NMMI. FYI those are M1895 Colt-Browning Machine Guns:
    Last edited by OH58D; 01-24-19 at 15:11.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    You should update the Wiki Page on that. It really doesn't discuss that aspect. They mention one machinegun kept under lock by two soldiers. Then later it says something about 4 machineguns. I did find this link to the motorcycles though.

http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2010/05/05/...-pancho-villa/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    You should update the Wiki Page on that. It really doesn't discuss that aspect. They mention one machinegun kept under lock by two soldiers. Then later it says something about 4 machineguns. I did find this link to the motorcycles though.

http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2010/05/05/...-pancho-villa/
    Down at New Mexico Military Institute there's a photo hanging on the wall of the ROTC building (Dow Hall) that shows all 4 motorcycles with Machine guns on the side-cars. It's pretty much history in New Mexico if you talk to anyone who knows about the Villa raid from 1916. A retired Army Sergeant and instructor at the school went with the cadets to Columbus, NM, actually beating Gen. Pershing there.
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I don't know that I've ever heard that story before. My father used to ride a Harley in the Military and a short while in local PD. They didn't let him mount a machine gun though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    Down at New Mexico Military Institute there's a photo hanging on the wall of the ROTC building (Dow Hall) that shows all 4 motorcycles with Machine guns on the side-cars. It's pretty much history in New Mexico if you talk to anyone who knows about the Villa raid from 1916. A retired Army Sergeant and instructor at the school went with the cadets to Columbus, NM, actually beating Gen. Pershing there.
    I used to go to Judo matches at NMMI. To be honest, I wish I could have gone to school there.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I have about a year to figure things out, but it is looking more and more like leaving is going to be the only option long term.
    Yeah, but to where? I have a similar dilemma here in Austin. Been chewing on it for several years now and haven't answered it yet. I'd hate to go back north, but TN is sort of nudging me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I used to go to Judo matches at NMMI. To be honest, I wish I could have gone to school there.
    It's a good military school based on a Cavalry Regiment organization. At first it was originated to train cavalry officers. It has a 1000 cadet student body with 4 years of high school, and a 2 year Junior College. They have the Early Commissioning Program which is an Army fast track program for new 2LT's. Their Regiment is set up with 3 Cavalry Squadrons and 5 Cavalry Troops per Squadron. 1st Squadron has the Headquarters and Headquarters troop plus regimental band. The place is commanded by a retired Army Major General and the Commandant is a retired LTC from West Point.

All High School cadets must be in JROTC and the 2 year college senior contracted ROTC is optional. Some of the famous people who attended there were Conrad Hilton of the Hilton Hotels, Roger Staubach of the Cowboys before the Naval Academy and actor Owen Wilson. The rumor is Wilson was a real little prick while there. Beautiful campus, but a very hard and controlled lifestyle with an emphasis on educational and physical excellence:

NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    Yeah, but to where? I have a similar dilemma here in Austin. Been chewing on it for several years now and haven't answered it yet. I'd hate to go back north, but TN is sort of nudging me.
    Austin may very well be the down fall of Texas. Especially when you throw DFW and Houston in the mix demographically. I have great concerns for Texas long term.

As to where? I don't know. A lot of the more conservative states seem to be getting influenced by left leaning politics making the thought of uprooting an entire life of building something a little less appealing if in 10 years it's time to make the decision again. Wyoming checks A LOT of boxes for me, but winter is becoming less and less my friend and we all know what winter is like in Wyoming.

I am admittedly 50/50 split right now on go or stay and fight. Time will tell I guess. But, the current elected officials here, and their attitude towards folks like these ranchers (and the populace in general) make it very hard to want to stay. It's disgusting really.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your decisions as these things are rarely as easy it seems.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have great concerns for Texas long term.
    If you mean politically...... you guys are in the short game. You are in the express lane and next in line.

FL is more viable than TX to hold Red. Once either is captured it's game over but there is no long term for TX or FL.

The USA is transitioning to a one party Democracy. Rather quickly actually. The long game will be how the Dem Party divides out after complete control and if a representative Republic will continue to stand.

I don't see anything good happening to TX.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Wyoming checks A LOT of boxes for me, but winter is becoming less and less my friend and we all know what winter is like in Wyoming.
    Wyoming and Idaho are very appealing to me also, but it is the winters keeping from being there full time. I visit there as much as I can.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast