Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building an AR pistol

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Building an AR pistol

I’m currently building an AR pistol and I have an extra buffer tube handy. It’s milspec by spikes. I was wondering if when I purchase the pistol brace I would be able to use the buffer tube/castle nut combo or is that a no no? Do I have to buy a pistol buffer tube and buffer?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pistol braces now exist that use a standard mil-spec diameter carbine receiver extension, and one example is SB Tactical's SBA3.

I haven't been able to use my SBA3 yet, since I haven't purchased the short upper yet, but I expect it to work well.

If the brace you choose is designed to use a standard carbine receiver extension, then it should be totally legal to use your existing one.

If using a receiver extension that didn't come from the manufacturer with the brace is considered modifying the brace, and therefore
    illegal, then that illustrates the level of ridiculousness that the BATFE exhibits.
    Last edited by grizzman; 01-24-19 at 18:53.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You can use any buffer tube you'd like on an AR pistol.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So if I just purchase the brace without an extension tube I’m GTG?

Also, I should mention this lower was purchased about two years ago from a gun store and is listed as “other” on the paperwork which I still have. The lower was stripped and I since put a LPK with a buffer tube on it.
    Last edited by Krp7894; 01-24-19 at 20:51.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krp7894 View Post
    So if I just purchase the brace without an extension tube I’m GTG?

Also, I should mention this lower was purchased about two years ago from a gun store and is listed as “other” on the paperwork which I still have. The lower was stripped and I since put a LPK with a buffer tube on it.
    The SBA3 comes with a standard mil-spec buffer tube to appease the law that it is a pistol buffer/brace system and not a modification to a rifle system. And yes, the SBA3 will fit on a standard mil-spec buffer tube purchased aside from the brace.

To my knowledge, the SBA3 is the only brace that will fit a standard mil-spec buffer tube.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z View Post
    The SBA3 comes with a standard mil-spec buffer tube to appease the law that it is a pistol buffer/brace system and not a modification to a rifle system. And yes, the SBA3 will fit on a standard mil-spec buffer tube purchased aside from the brace.

To my knowledge, the SBA3 is the only brace that will fit a standard mil-spec buffer tube.
    As long as it’s legal then I’d just slide the new brace over my existing buffer tube. That way I don’t have to break off the castle nut and start again.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    As long as it’s legal then I’d just slide the new brace over my existing buffer tube. That way I don’t have to break off the castle nut and start again.
    That's up to you. I'm not a lawyer and I don't pretend to play one on TV, so take that FWIW.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z View Post
    That's up to you. I'm not a lawyer and I don't pretend to play one on TV, so take that FWIW.
    Understood. What about ordering the upper online? I’ve ordered 16” uppers before but can I have an 8.3” upper sent to my house or does that go through an FFL? I live in NY.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You can use any RE you want on a pistol. Just don't use a stock.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Understood. What about ordering the upper online? I’ve ordered 16” uppers before but can I have an 8.3” upper sent to my house or does that go through an FFL? I live in NY.
    I would’ve guessed AR pistols wouldn’t even be legal in NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast