Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A new G3 clone for the US market...

Feedback Score
    Odd price point.

I have three HK91 clones.

A 7.62 AR has advantages on them.

With real HKs a little more, and PTRs half as much, I don’t understand the niche they are after.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Bah...PTR....all the way...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    They will sell to the genre collectors and then set @ that price point.
    Stupid of them not to have made a 5.56 in 1/7 or 8 that matches the 7.62 in double push pin, grenade launch rings, flapper mag release.
    I actually think the flat scope rail is a great improvement.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    They will sell to the genre collectors and then set @ that price point.
    Stupid of them not to have made a 5.56 in 1/7 or 8 that matches the 7.62 in double push pin, grenade launch rings, flapper mag release.
    I actually think the flat scope rail is a great improvement.
    Close.

Last edited by Bret; 01-28-19 at 18:06.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Yea, tough sell. PTR makes a fine product all ready in the US.

Also, the guy didn't know what parts were 922r but said they make the complete rifle. It sounded like he wasn't familiar with 922r or perhaps arrangements had yet to be made regarding producing parts in the US.

I suppose they already crank out G3's for armies that want them. But if they wanted to increase sales they should just crank out more MP5-type rifles. Even a 5.56 or 7.62x39 or .300 blk out rifle with lots of good magazines would sell more than .308 rifles.
    Zenith had guns in 5.56 and hopefully they will bring them back at some point. As far as 922r goes zenith was selling a trigger group with 4 922r parts in it. My guess is that they will import the guns as pistols and add that shipping back the same set of import packs to be put on the next batch. Past that they could swap the charging handle, install a us flash hider and then either put a base plate on the mag or use a us made handguard or stock and be complaint. They could import the guns without most of the parts on them so they would just be buying them once to make the gun ready to go.

The only thing I can think of that would be better might be the barrel. The zenith will have a cold hammer forged barrel with chrome lining if I'm not mistaken. I don't believe the ptr is chrome lined but I could be wrong. For most that isn't going to be that big of a deal. Its really going to come down to what the retail price of these guns end up as and what they come with. For most though I think the ptr will be a better option due to price.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post

The only thing I can think of that would be better might be the barrel. The zenith will have a cold hammer forged barrel with chrome lining if I'm not mistaken. I don't believe the ptr is chrome lined but I could be wrong. For most that isn't going to be that big of a deal. Its really going to come down to what the retail price of these guns end up as and what they come with. For most though I think the ptr will be a better option due to price.
    I think the Zenith guns are basically made time HK specs, so I believe yes on CHF, no on chrome lining since I don't think the G3 ever had chromed bores.
    PTR doesn't chrome their barrels, or do anything else to them from what I can gather. Basically just unlined, button rifled, 4140.

From what I've read, PTR barrel life doesn't compare favorably with that of an actual HK, which I guess shouldn't be surprising.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I think the Zenith guns are basically made time HK specs, so I believe yes on CHF, no on chrome lining since I don't think the G3 ever had chromed bores.
    PTR doesn't chrome their barrels, or do anything else to them from what I can gather. Basically just unlined, button rifled, 4140.

From what I've read, PTR barrel life doesn't compare favorably with that of an actual HK, which I guess shouldn't be surprising.
    They might not be chrome lined then. I'm pretty sure my g3k has a chrome lined barrel on it but that gun has a hk21 barrel installed.

Either way the zenith barrel in theory should be closer to the HK spec and should last longer. Most people will never shoot out either barrel though.

Feedback Score
    I dont think the 3 PTR91's I had were chrome lined.

They did have proper chamber flutes and were accurate. I fired each one less than 1k rds iirc but I never had a single malfunction.

Feedback Score
    These MKE's offer a nice alternative to a used HK and with all the upgrades such as paddle release, grenade ring- that cost a few hundred more to have done. I personally would consider them over say a cheaper PTR only because they are the real deal, much like the old Portugal HK types.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 02-01-19 at 04:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd rather go with a PTR model. By all accounts they are quite good. Also much less $$$.

However what I would really like to see is a 5.56 with NATO mag well.

TED

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast