Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LMT Magwell Tolerances

Feedback Score

LMT Magwell Tolerances

I recently purchased a stripped Defender Lower and built it up as a pistol. I had tested the mag catch with a GI mag only to find out later Gen2 Pmags (circa 2011) won’t drop free. All my GI mags, Gen 3 Pmags, and Gen 2 window Pmags (except one) drop free. My two Colts work with everything.

I do remember a guy at a carbine class years ago that had the same issue with him LMT...which I had forgotten about.

Seems this may not be that uncommon with LMT based on a quick internet search. My question is, is this out of spec or the way LMT makes lowers? Should I contact them or live with it?

I have numerous Gen 2 Pmags that I tend to use and have keeped the others mostly in storage in case of a ban.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I am strongly considering picking up a LMT Defender lower and am also interested to see what people's experiences have been.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ive run a Defender for about 12 years now. Ive got & used so many different mags there is no way to remember them all. Never once have had a mag problem of any kind. From the 5 Lancers that came with the gun, to steel & aluminum to ETS mags..just almost everything.
    Only trouble Ive had was with the trigger..which was horribly heavy, and seemed to have a "catch" in it before release. Was over 10lbs on my gauge.
    Put in a 4lb. Velocity many many years ago and been trouble free since.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Likely a tolerance stack issue, you get any two of the variables mag well, mag catch and mag on the edge of the spec in the right (wrong) direction and you can have issues. I can tell you that different lot number of PMAG's are different, some might drop free in a particular rifle and others might not, Gen 3's seem to be held to tighter specs.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Likely a tolerance stack issue, you get any two of the variables mag well, mag catch and mag on the edge of the spec in the right (wrong) direction and you can have issues. I can tell you that different lot number of PMAG's are different, some might drop free in a particular rifle and others might not, Gen 3's seem to be held to tighter specs.
    I’ve heard this about Gen 3 but the ones I have are new and have never been used before. My Gen 2s are what I mostly use but never keep loaded. I’m wondering if it’s true they expand but I never noticed because the Colt magwells are definitely more forgiving.

BTW, I have an old Gen 1 and it also doesn’t drop free.

As for tolerance stacking, I did remove the mag catch to test and it’s absolutely the magwell that is tight.

I bought it from Toombstone Tact and if I was to buy another I would call and ask them to test the lower with a Gen 2 first. I kind of like Gen2s if only because you can store the dust cover on the bottom.

The fellow I remember from the class years ago was definitely the only guy there with an issue. He had to use GI mags. Most of the mags being used by everyone were Gen2s as they were relatively new at the time and people were testing them out.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm having no such issues at all with my LMT lower either. Sorry.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My 2 LMT's have had issues with 2 older (I think gen 2, maybe gen1, I'm not sure) PMags that would consistently not drop free from either gun. Other 3 mags I bought at the same time drop free just fine. I marked those 2 mags "NDF" but last time I used those mags, they dropped free, so I dunno. Never any issues with any USGI mags.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You found one of the reasons the M3 mags exist, it's not brand specific.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have use mostly Gen2 PMags through my Defender lower with no issues. Colt, Okay, D&H, Lancer, and Gen3 PMags have also been used with no issue.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    I have experienced no issues with LMT lower and pmag gen 2 and 3.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast