Thread: Skim Bedding and Re-barreling

Feedback Score

Skim Bedding and Re-barreling

Started life as a Tactical ADL, dropped it in a Bell and Carlson stock, added a floorplate, leupold vx3i and what not. Shoots well with factory or reloads.
    Once I finish with graduate school, I had planned to turn this into an m40a1 clone, but I am starting to change my mind. I am still planning to drop the receiver off at Douglas and have it re barreled with their m24/40 contour barrel. 500.00 for a barrel replacement and rework of the receiver, not a bad deal. In the meantime I am planning to skim bed the stock while it has the factory barrel.
    Will I have to reskim bed it once the barrel is replaced? I don't think it will change anything but I guess it depends on what happens to the receiver while its at Douglas.
    Also will cerokoting the action affect the bedding job? Once its rebarreled I want to get the action, barrel and floorplate cerokoted. Stock will be repainted after bedding with alumahyde flat black. Other question, once the gun is rebarreled, will the old BC stock become the weak link in the rifle?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    As long as you only bed the action and behind the recoil lug, I don't see an issue. There's no need to bed any of the chamber IMO.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Agree with this.
    I have found some rifles shot better with fore end pressure though.
    Easy to determine by sticking a piece of an old credit card between fare end/barrel and tighten action screw(s).

Feedback Score
    You should always re-bed after work, but certainly if you are having the receiver trued up in the process. If it is bedded well now, then you have it trued and they take off anything from the front of the receiver because it wasn't perfect, now your recoil lug will be working against the bedding that was behind it. At a minimum, mill out the recoil lug area in the stock and re-bed it while skim-bedding the rest.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    For the money you are investing, consider keeping that gun as is and buy a Bergara, Tikka or other such gun that does not need work. I’ve been down your path, but don’t recommend it now for a gun that shoots.

It’s your gun and $$$, just a thought.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"