Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 and extreme cold? (below zero)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sva01 View Post
    Mark, you remember this thread from a few years back?
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...e-Polar-Vortex
    Unfortuntely, the pics have been lost to photobucket but it's still a good read about different lubes and cold air temps.
    and just like my comment in that thread.. it's in the upper 30's here in AK again while the east coast is freezing.

I still have Fireclean on my rifles.. I don't care what the detractors say.. it works for me and hasn't gummed my guns up in cold weather at all.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I plan on trying a few rifles out tomorrow. It will be -5 with windchills around -30.

As a side note. I have a 10.5 sbr that I put a gas port reducer in the gas block this past summer. Definitely tamed the overgassing on that rifle. But when I took it out in 10 degrees the other day, it would not cycle wolf without my suppressor on. Now, I run that gun suppressed 90% of the time so it doesn't bother me too much, but it got me thinking, maybe overpasses isn't so bad in my climate (northern lower peninsula MI)

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Nope. Lubricant might be a consideration. Us hot weather guys are lucky enough to be able to run frog lube year rounds. I've read that it's not the best in really cold weather.

The only other consideration is bringing a weapon in from the cold.. condensation can lead to rusting.
    Ask me how I know what it does to an AR's chamber/barrel extension. Aah, good times.
    Nobody ever got shot climbing over the wall into East Berlin.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I’ve had no issues when he gets to record cold temps. I was shooting last year and it was 31. No issues. Suppressors help.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-29-19 at 19:09.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I’d love to see some data from a brave soul shooting out in our -20-30 temps in the northern Midwest tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I am not the guy with farmland to allow me to do this.
    Last edited by JediGuy; 01-29-19 at 19:34. Reason: “Sole”
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    I once left my 6920 in the car over night when the temps dropped down to 10. Next morning brought it out and fired it. It would not cycle brown bear but worked with xm193. It had always cycled Brown Bear from 30-95 degrees. It was enlightening experience.

Lubed with red axle grease and mobile 1.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I've shot my rifle at -10 plus a light wind. Rifle had sit in the trunk for a few hours in the cold, so not an honest "cold soak" . The rifle was set up as follows:
    18" Sionics rifle-length gas system
    Gas port is Crane's spec for an 18" barrel (.095?)
    Sionics NP3 BCG
    A5H3 with Sprinco Green spring
    Vortex or A2 flash hider, can't remember when I switched to Vortex
    Geissele SSA-E
    Ammo- 77gr Nosler CC/21.6gr H322

At 435 yards, I had to go up in elevation from the usual 7.5 MOA to 11ish MOA.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    I’ve seen a number of posts on IG, FB, and other forums asking folks what their “ultimate cold weather SHTF rifle would be” and I’ve noticed a bunch of people saying something like Mosin, M1903, AK-47, etc. but very few (and in some instances zero) mention of an AR, and if an AR was mentioned at all, there was usually something about using graphite lubricant instead of oil. If I had to grab a rifle in sub zero temperatures it would be the same rifle I’d grab any other time: my 16” middy lubricated with SLIP 2000. Am I missing something here?

Yes, I’m aware of the average IQ on these other platforms, which is why I’m asking here.
    Anyone who wants to talk about SHTF on a platform like FB and IG are already in the idiot category. Its not like the M16 FOW have been shot in arctic conditions for decades with ZERO problems related to the gas system. Guess what rifle America's Hat uses? Theres also a certain country that starts with N and ends is Way that we regularly train in arctic warfare with.

I bet these idiots on FB and IG have no idea how to bivvy and start a fire to dry themselves off before they freeze to death after taking and walk in the arctic wilderness. If thats all what these FB idiots want to talk about when operating in arctic conditions then have their priorities ass backwards. Protip: The cold will kill you far faster than the enemy will if you talking about a true arctic environment.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-29-19 at 20:02.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    I've shot AR's, Glock's, 1911's, and VP9's in teens, single digits and negative temperatures down to -10. G96 CLP is the best lube I have found to use sparingly in those conditions for all of those weapons. I tried thin coats of grease and thicker lubes but never had much luck.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Guy I know who's into AKs decided to give ARs a try a few years ago. Bought a DD. Had it a few months, took it out one freezing cold day, had it outside for a while, went to shoot it and the firing pin broke. Pretty much killed his interest in ARs

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast