Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 and extreme cold? (below zero)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Guy I know who's into AKs decided to give ARs a try a few years ago. Bought a DD. Had it a few months, took it out one freezing cold day, had it outside for a while, went to shoot it and the firing pin broke. Pretty much killed his interest in ARs
    My DD has had zero issue living and shooting in Alaska. Shots on coyotes down to -30F a couple times. Probably 200 rounds down the tube at 0F and below temps. AR-15s are all over the place in rural villages in Alaska, and most of them aren't even high quality versions either.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Couple of weeks ago we had several nights of temps running around -15, I left a PSA FN 14.5 mid gas in a container for a few days along with a mix of ammo in Gen 3 PMAG's. Early morning while temps were still low I tried it out, BCG lightly lubed with Slip EWL I could not get a round to chamber from the mag, would hang up just short of fully going into battery and FA was useless. Single load a round and it would function semi auto but could not get first round to load from mag. Gave up went home and drank coffee. Next day cold rifle still would not chamber, after lubing the hell out of BCG with Slip ELW worked fine, no longer believe the old saw that excessive lube is bad in extreme cold, not if using the correct lube.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 01-30-19 at 00:39.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I’ve had no issues when he gets to record cold temps. I was shooting last year and it was 31. No issues. Suppressors help.
    You have a funny definition of, "cold." :P

ETA: For those who have to deal with conditions where a little fall of snow doesn't cause a minor apocalypse, this post by Norwegian forum member Arctic1 might be of interest: Arctic1's Big Winter Gear Thread.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 01-30-19 at 00:52.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    My DD has had zero issue living and shooting in Alaska. Shots on coyotes down to -30F a couple times. Probably 200 rounds down the tube at 0F and below temps. AR-15s are all over the place in rural villages in Alaska, and most of them aren't even high quality versions either.
    I wasn't there. Figured it was just a fluke. Firing pin was probably bad from the factory and happened to have broken when it did. Would have probably broken in 95° heat

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I'm in central Idaho it's -17 this morning with no wind , I'm in construction and been here most of my life ( by choice ) .
    As others have said clothing and shelter are the most important. Even the best boots ( whites , shnees etc ) will start to freeze up and start chafing the back of your heel at -15 and down . It depends on the condition but getting the truck stuck and having to walk 10 miles , sucks . Most people are not going to be out at -10 and -40 is very difficult so the whole question of does my firearm work is kind of moot because you won't .
    That said I have played with them at very low temp for years. There have been some good articles on the subject , one was the the 1982 SOF interview of Israel Galil by kokalis . The other was the 1986 Swat article by Jeff Hall on extreme cold weather testing . It is a good read , basically the AK variants do much better as they have looser tolerances, fixed charging handles , and triggers that have a lot space around them . Other systems have much tighter tolerances and no fixed charging handle to the bolt. HK did not like the article !
    Anyway it's interesting to play around , you can test yours with dummy cartridges and see if you can charge ,or if the hammer will fall etc. I have had AR 15 , FAL , HK 91 and a SKS fail . They have frozen shut , filed to fire a round , to chamber a round , to extract, to feed and have the hammer drop .
    What will help is a mill spec hammer and stronger springs , a lighter buffer, a carbine gas system and get the plastic muzzle cap or tape it . I have found a NP3 or chrome bolt helps and a magazine that is well used or the inside polished with a stronger spring will also help . An open tine flashhider ( one you can clean the ice out of ) and blanks to clear the icing out of the bbl before firing a round . Thanks Joe

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I see a lot of posts in here about lube. The US military has already done the homework for you.

Lubricant, arctic, weapons (LAW)
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Joe,

Was that 1986 SWAT article about the Alaska State Troopers testing? I remember from that they went rated the Galil best but I notice today that they use AR's.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 01-30-19 at 07:49.

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I see a lot of posts in here about lube. The US military has already done the homework for you.

Lubricant, arctic, weapons (LAW)
    Can no longer find LAW, like LSA I believe it has been superseded by newer lubes.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Can no longer find LAW, like LSA I believe it has been superseded by newer lubes.
    An Army press release from last January said to use it.

I stand corrected, though. A google search of nsn 9150-00-292-9689 only found one ebay hit. Everybody seems sold out. I’m going to have to ask my armorer if there’s a replacement, or if its just hard to buy.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Hi Mack
    Yes it was the Alaska state trooper article, and while the Galil was a decent firearm it was heavy , expensive , proprietary mag and Ohio Rapid Fire did not help the platform out at all.
    The AR is light , and the cost has come down over the last 20 years to absurd levels . Everyone makes one , or a part .
    One other thing is the trend of integral trigger guards , or magpulls add on , or even the old gapper. It prevents you from dropping the trigger guard for heavy gloved use. We could go on and on about lanyards on pistols , lanyards on magazines, slings . But how about triggers ? I love the SSA-E but on my winter gun it's a 6# standard trigger. With heavy gloves you loose sensation or control . Take a light trigger , a big glove , a loaded weapon - aim safely down range and take it off safe , try it out . It's easy to have an AD.
    Anyone remember the old AR front sight cover ? Or the story's of the Finns being up wind of the Germans so there eyes would water. My daughter and I go out Christmas tree hunting ( literally) every year ,her with a Dedicated AR -22 and me with the winter AR. It takes about 5 clips to take one down , but it's fun . They get covered in snow , sometimes a mag gets lost till spring .

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast