Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 and extreme cold? (below zero)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    If memory serves, I think he had a HK416 which is a DI gun, and perhaps that's a better choice of AR for extreme cold?
    The HK416 is a piston gun. IIRC Norway or one of the other countries that fields it had some initial cold weather issues. They worked with HK and parts were modified.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Having hailed from the a very cold state, my experience mimics most here. 3 conditions need to be met: 1) rifle can't be undergassed, 2) ammo has to be hot enough, and 3) use a thinner lube and less of it. I have shot my AR's down to -20 F with no issues at all.

Any rifle can have it's small bits frozen up, IE the mag release, safety, etc. Condensation is a killer here. But generally AR's do a pretty good job of keeping large amounts of ice and snow from getting there.

If you want some real fun, do a XC ski race mixed with AR shooting, think tactical biathlon. Will out both you, your gear, and your rifle through the ringer...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    The HK416 is a piston gun. IIRC Norway or one of the other countries that fields it had some initial cold weather issues. They worked with HK and parts were modified.
    Arctic1 has extensive experience with the HK416 and other weapon families in extreme cold. He has high praise for the HK416.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I see a lot of posts in here about lube. The US military has already done the homework for you.

Lubricant, arctic, weapons (LAW)
    Has anyone used this? Is it available. I never heard of it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    and just like my comment in that thread.. it's in the upper 30's here in AK again while the east coast is freezing.

I still have Fireclean on my rifles.. I don't care what the detractors say.. it works for me and hasn't gummed my guns up in cold weather at all.
    I'm glad to know that about FireClean. I still use it on all my guns as well.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidbattlecry View Post
    I'm glad to know that about FireClean. I still use it on all my guns as well.
    I haven’t had any issues with it at all. I slightly prefer ALG Go juice but fireclean is a solid #2 in my book.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    That's my screw up I knew it was a piston vs DI gun, and typed out some derpa derp due to recall/brain fail. I was not aware they had some cold weather issues.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 02-10-19 at 17:04.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Has anyone used this? Is it available. I never heard of it.
    It appears to been superceded by a newer product. There’s a post about that a couple pages back.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    That's my screw up I knew it was a piston vs DI gun, and typed out some derpa derp due to recall/brain fail. I was not aware they had some cold weather issues.
    I knew you knew and figured you just had momentary brain freeze.

Again, from memory - IIRC the Norwegians spec'd the rifle out with an adjustable gas block. I think that was the cause of their issues.

Feedback Score
    This cold weather thread got me thinking to the Korean War and specifically when the ChiComs first crossed the Yalu in the winter of 1950. It was supposedly the coldest winter they'd had in decades; shit was blowing straight down from Siberia. Our guys didn't have the variety of lubes we have available to us now. The vaunted M1 Garand and other battle-tested weapons basically froze up. I recall reading that some of them used after-shave because the alcohol wouldn't freeze. Essentially anything to keep the weapons "wet" (so to speak) but not frozen.

Think about it: these were probably not new out-of-the-box weapons. Likely leftovers from WWII, *maybe* (a big maybe) arsenal rebuilt between the wars. Weapons with loose tolerances, but none were DI, all "piston" of some sort. M1 Garand, BAR, 1919's, and carbines (although I don't think anyone was surprised with carbine issues as they were the most finicky of those I listed).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast