Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question: Should Troops and Cops Stick with Issued Weapons?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I speak only for myself, not .mil or LE.

My experience has been that RECENT training allows you to flow easily between platforms, modular setups, gear, guns, etc.

If you run one thing at work, and a different functioning weapon for personal usage with more recent/greater training with one platform or setup, I can see minor delays/hiccups/and longer reaction time occurring. Not just in the weapons systems, but with where you carry your mags, gear setup on the belt/body, etc.

If you train long and hard enough on one platform, the reflexes and "flow" of the subconscious manipulation of the weapons system (conscious mind is actively working on solving the overall problem) get hard wired to some degree.

At speed & under stress... your body can be literally moving faster than your conscious brain is processing what is happening (ie. slide lock reload, draw stroke & first shot, grabbing for a mag...).

My previous experience has been that running between Glock 17 & 1911, under stress at speed I'll still swipe down on the non-existent thumb safety of a Glock because that motion was ingrained in me for so long running 1911s.

Recently at a course I ran a gun with a thumb safety having trained a lot with Glocks recently and kept NOT swiping it off when getting on target.

For me personally, I would try to stick with a platform or controls that closely mimics what I would carry on duty if going into harm's way was my day job. One set of reflexes with a setup that was as consistent as possible.

Feedback Score
    I never was military but am LE and have been for 30 years, 25 as a firearms and Use-of-Force instructor.

My thoughts, expressed as broad generalizations so examples of anomolies are be expected;

A good shooter will likely shoot well with whetever he/she has. A shooter who sucks will likely suck regardless. The mid-range shooters will likely benefit from commonality of having a personal rifle/handgun cloned from their issued one.

As a side note, I am a proponent of individually-owned rifles (not a fan of pool rfles, but they’re better than no rifle) and of allowing an officer to select from a list of approved handguns. (Alas. Sometimes I feel like a voice crying out in he wilderness!)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post

My previous experience has been that running between Glock 17 & 1911, under stress at speed I'll still swipe down on the non-existent thumb safety of a Glock because that motion was ingrained in me for so long running 1911s.

Recently at a course I ran a gun with a thumb safety having trained a lot with Glocks recently and kept NOT swiping it off when getting on target.
    I second this. I carried a Sig P226 from 1991 to 2004. I’ve carried the Glock since 2004. Even now, after 15 years, I find myself trying to thumb down the decock lever.

Muscle/neuron memory has a strong impact. I drive the spouse crazy when we turn into a parking lot going shopping or whatever because I always take off the seatbelt well before our destination. It is what I do working in case I need to de-ass mself from the car. Ingrained habits have a will of their own.

Feedback Score
    Like it was stated on page 1, I think it’s more beneficial that someone gets practice outside of work, even with a Gucci gun because in the end, training with a upgraded gun is better than no training at all.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I cannot comment on firing pistols with different safeties, because none of mine do.

As far as triggers: in stress courses/quals, I don’t notice the difference between striker/DAO/DA-SA. The closest I come is being up on target “waiting” for the hammer to drop on the first shot of a DA/SA gun. While under stress, I also don’t notice the difference between the trigger pulls on my SSA-E rifles and non-SSA-E rifles, though I’m aware that the triggers are doing their thing when you see the results.

I too hit the imaginary de-cocker after having a duty DA/SA P229 for 16+ years. We’ll see what the G17MOS brings soon enough, but I did notice the trigger difference in slow fire.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123