All,

I don't know how to phrase this (so I did a few fruitless searches for my question), but here it goes:

Should those who carry weapons on duty stick with the same kind of weapons for home/personal use?

For example, let's say you have an enthusiast who builds his own AR pistol with many popular upgrades (e.g. 11.5" barrel, free-float handguards, Geissele drop-in trigger, etc). He also happens to be in the military -- a regular joe (not high-speed, low-drag) -- and is issued a no-frills M4. If he ever has to use said duty rifle to engage bad guys overseas (and under stress), is it possible for him to have been "spoiled" by all the Gucci gear from his home AR pistol? So much so that it actually negatively affects his performance with his issued weapon (e.g. his Geissele is so different from the standard mil-spec that he keeps f***ing up the trigger reset in rapid fire)?

Or imagine a law enforcement officer with his custom Glock at home (e.g. trigger job, compensator), but stock Glock on his belt while on duty. Will trigger time with the former negatively affect his use of the latter in an officer involved shooting?

I realize that if you're really good at shooting, it doesn't matter what platform you use (so in the military example above, those in CAG/DEVGRU don't care what kind of trigger they have).

But for those of us who won't achieve that kind of mastery (because of a lack of time, money, or motivation), is there an argument to be made for those in uniform to deliberately stick with less-refined, ordinary/unoriginal stock weapons, in order to ensure that muscle memory, fine motor skills, etc are consistent between duty and home/personal weapons?

Respectfully,
butlers