Thread: Best 'overall ' load for 1x12" twist / 12.5" barrel ?

Feedback Score

Best 'overall ' load for 1x12" twist / 12.5" barrel ?

Hi Folks, Yes, I did attempt a search for an answer to this question, but didn't find what I was looking for. So, here we go; >>> Best 'overall ' load for the older 1x12" twist / 12.5" barrel ? Off the top of my head, I 'd lean towards perhaps Federal ATK's 55 gr. Barnes load, as that's proven to work reasonably well in the past. IIRC, someone also produces a similar load, but with a 52 grain projectile. If anyone has information regarding any similar type loadings, I'd love to hear about them. I'm trying with the idea of buying a Troy retro model, specifically either the XM177E2, or as a 2nd choice, their GAU-5 version. Other than markings, they're pretty much the same, except for the F/A feature on the 177E2. I may be wrong, & I'm sure many will argue with me, but I'm not so quick to discount the F/A. No, they're not often used or needed, but why not have it available if it is needed, right ? So, we could go on & on as to the relative reasons why to buy, or want one of the Troy models ? But, that's another Thread all together. I anyone's got an update on currently available 55 grain ( + / - ) SBR type loads, PLEASE let me know. THANK YOU Guys !!

Best regards, dpast32

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    55gr Gold Dot isn't a bad option.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    BHI 50 grain TSX would be best but $$$.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    THANKS Guys, I too was thinking along those lines. I'm sure there's a few we missed also, but I'm not going nuts yet buying ammo, I still haven't decided for sure if I should throw out $1200+ for a 'fun toy' that I don't really need. I want one but what nags at me is either of my Colts will do what the Troy can do, but the Colts will do it better. ONLY upsides are the Troy's awesome factor, along with a shorter OAL. I'm afraid to go into to much detail in this Thread as to my wants, as this is supposed to be an ammo discussion. If I get a minute I'll ask for some advice on another 5.56 I 'vs been looking for. THANKS again,

Best, dpast32

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    DocGKR's recommendations:
    If running 1/12 twist barrels, stick with the BH 50 gr TSX, Fed 55 gr TBBC, Fed 55 gr TSX, Horn 55 gr GMX, or Speer 55 gr Gold Dot.
    And;
    SBR's can run into rotational velocity issues with some loads, so it is generally best to select faster 1/7 twist barrels whenever possible.
    So I'd pick one of the loads listed, buy a box or two, and see how it groups at 25, 75, 100 yards to see if there are any stability issues with that load, with your barrel length and twist rate. (Although I suspect that he was referring to 1:8 and 1:9 twist barrels with 62-grain+ bullets.)

Both the 50-gr. TSX and 55-gr. GMX are listed as among the best barrier blind loads for a 5.56mm rifle, so I would start with one or the other of them.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 01-30-19 at 17:48.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    I’d do a serious cost analysis on barrel vs ammo cost.

New barrel may pay off in the long run.

To answer the question, 50gr BH tax load first, the rest was covered.