Thread: 308 sbr gas system length

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

308 sbr gas system length

i am starting to narrow down my build and getting hung on the barrel decision.

i originally wanted a 13.5 middy, but no one makes one. aero makes a 12.5 carbine. i know it's going to cost a bit more money (extra cost for the barrel and the cut/thread job), but i am considering getting a 16" middy and having it cut to 13.5 to get exactly what i want. any reason not go with a 13.5 middy? my reasons for the 13.5 middy is a bit more velocity and a smoother operating gas system. or am i being too picky?

build details:
    aero m5e1 enhanced upper
    aero lower
    SLR agb
    saker 762
    Last edited by corey4; 02-15-19 at 08:31.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In case you weren't aware, if you use an A5 RE with a 308 AR, it needs a carbine length buffer. This is due to the extra length of the 308 carrier.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, and vltor also suggested a certain armalight spring as well.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Unsolicited advice, but I highly recommend against going under 14.5 with .308, and under 16" only if the user has a specific niche application and/or is shooting very light projectiles at at least moderate velocity.
    Quite frankly (again, unsolicited, I know) if I had a need for a 13.5" .308, I'd buy a SCAR-H and the CQC barrel. I promise that it will save you a lot of headache.
    Dropping under 16" of barrel makes a significant detrimental effect to ammunition performance, and while I like my 14.5" SR-25, I am demonstrably more efficient with my 16" guns.
    Now, change that to a 13.5"-14.5" 6.5mm CM or .260 Rem and I will sing a different song, but that's better left to another thread.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    i have a scar17 and i'm not really warmed up to it for some reason. i played with a buddies 12.5 308 SBR and liked it much better over the scar17. i have a seekins sp10 and like that much better as well over the scar17. i know, different animals and different uses, but im preferring the AR large frame animal.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by corey4 View Post
    i have a scar17 and i'm not really warmed up to it for some reason. i played with a buddies 12.5 308 SBR and liked it much better over the scar17. i have a seekins sp10 and like that much better as well over the scar17. i know, different animals and different uses, but im preferring the AR large frame animal.
    I gotcha, just warning that 7.62 DI guns under 14.5" tend to be finicky.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com