Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 308 sbr gas system length

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by corey4 View Post
    Hijack away my friend
    Thanks!

Here it goes:

-Starting with a 16" ACC, would you recommend to change buffer weight when swapping for the 14.5" upper?

-If using the rifle suppressed full-time, would you recommend switching to a MAMS over the flash hider? The suppressor I was looking at was the CRS.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    Thanks!

Here it goes:

-Starting with a 16" ACC, would you recommend to change buffer weight when swapping for the 14.5" upper?

-If using the rifle suppressed full-time, would you recommend switching to a MAMS over the flash hider? The suppressor I was looking at was the CRS.
    The 14.5 ACC/CC is designed to operate with the standard SR-25 carbine spring and 2H buffer (included with the upper kit).
    There is no appreciable functional difference between a flash hider and the MAMS when under a suppressor. The MAMS will serve to protect the first baffle a little more than a flash hider, but the CRS will last for tens of thousands of rounds even with a FH.
    If precision is a priority requirement for the user, I do recommend flash hiders in general.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    The 14.5 ACC/CC is designed to operate with the standard SR-25 carbine spring and 2H buffer (included with the upper kit).
    There is no appreciable functional difference between a flash hider and the MAMS when under a suppressor. The MAMS will serve to protect the first baffle a little more than a flash hider, but the CRS will last for tens of thousands of rounds even with a FH.
    If precision is a priority requirement for the user, I do recommend flash hiders in general.
    Perfect, thank you.

One more thing, and I know this gets into ballistics, but would would the suppressor add velocity in any way?

In other words, does it basically act like an extension of the barrel extending the rifles effective range? The furthest targets I'd see myself shooting would be 600 - 800 meters away. It would see most use hunting hogs.

I'm still a ways away from buying anything, but just trying to learn as much as I can before jumping in.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Increase in velocity will be minimal. I haven't cronoed any of my gassers yet. My bolt gun, gap hospitaller 308, only saw a 10fps increase with a TBAC ultra9.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    Perfect, thank you.

One more thing, and I know this gets into ballistics, but would would the suppressor add velocity in any way?

In other words, does it basically act like an extension of the barrel extending the rifles effective range? The furthest targets I'd see myself shooting would be 600 - 800 meters away. It would see most use hunting hogs.

I'm still a ways away from buying anything, but just trying to learn as much as I can before jumping in.
    Freebore boost (velocity increase attributable to a suppressor) is variable, but with KAC suppressors at least, only runs in the 5-20 ft/s area.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Went with the BA 12.5 carbine gas. I've taken it out once, out about 100 rounds thru it. It HATES ppu. When I was getting on paper at 50, I was getting 4" groups. I thought to myself, "shit...here we go...". Put some fgmm in it and all was good.

Only took a few rounds to get the gas block set. As a "gas to face" test, I ran 2 full mag dumps of ppu to see how gassy it is. I am pleased to say it's not gassy at all. Just lube splatter.
    Last edited by corey4; 02-15-19 at 08:32.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by corey4 View Post
    Went with the BA 12.5 carbine gas. I've taken it out once, out about 100 rounds thru it. It HATES ppu. When I was getting on paper at 50, I was getting 4" groups. I thought to myself, "shit...here we go...". Put some fgmm in it and all was good.

Only took a few rounds to get the gas block set. As a "gas to face" test, I ran 2 full mag dumps of ppu to see how gassy it is. I am pleased to say it's not gassy at all. Just lube splatter.
    i was hoping to hear how the 13.5" mid gas barrel shot but it looks like you got a pretty nice shooter with the 12.5" carbine barrel

did you find a sweet spot with the gas block or do you have 2 settings , one for unsuppressed and one setting for when you attach the can

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    if i get some extra money i feel like wasting over the summer, i'll do the 13.5 middy.

i have zero plans to shoot unsuppressed, so no i do not have a setting i use for both.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    i tried an adjustable gas block on my 12.5" 308 and could never find a happy medium

i got lucky and scored a noveske switchblock for it a few months back , i still need to get out and try it out

i think my next 308 will be an mws with a 13.5" barrel. that's why your build had my interest

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    thank God for this thread. I've been back and forth on "SBR 308's for awhile. I've always thought a 13in FAL would be an awesome truck gun but not for the price. 308AR's are getting decently priced and, I know I'm about to get shunned to hell and back for this, but I picked up a Diamondback 308(oh God I know, DB!!!) and swapped the barrel to a BA Hanson 16in and topped it with a Trijicon Accupower 4-16. I wasn't expecting much from the gun for the price, but this damn thing eats everything I put thru it and with FGMM 168gr ammo, its bug holing at 100 and now that I've been able to get it out to 600, I'm damn pleased with the gun.

DB makes a 13in 308 "pistol" that I'm contemplating getting as a starting point and SBR'ing it to have that truck gun I've been wanting. If I don't do that, I'm just gonna build a 11in 6.8 upper as I've got plenty of that ammo for the 16in 6.8 hunting rifle I've got.

I still like the idea of 13in 308 tho. Something about 150gr .30cal bullet thumping away at the asshole who made me get the truck gun out just puts a smile on my face lol
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast