Thread: Vang comp question

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Vang comp question

Is Vang comp worth the investment ? for a tactical/home defense shot gun. thanks

Feedback Score
    I have one of their jobs on an 870 barrel. Compared to a non ported barrel, my buck patterns are tighter. I havent noticed any difference in recoil, but it will make the gun louder. I carried it on duty as a LEO, I think its worth the coin.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you have a local gunsmith that is really a gunsmith, it is a routine task to lengthen the forcing cone and back bore the barrel.

Here is an explanation of the process, if you get to the end it compares their back bore to a Vang Comp: https://rifleshooter.com/2012/07/tac...e-performance/

A real gunsmith should have the cutters, etc, already. To be honest, I don't know about back boring a barrel with a screw in choke.

As for comping the shotgun barrel, I have a Browning Gold Sporting Clay with a comped barrel. I have shot several rounds of clays with a buddy who has an Remington 1100 with the same finish on the furniture as mine. I've picked his up out of the rack by accident several times and shot it. Aside from actually shooting better with his shotgun (he wouldn't sell or trade - LOL) I don't notice a difference in recoil.

As far as that goes, I've watched at least 100,000 Federal 13200's fired out of our cylinder and improved cylinder training shotguns, at 10 yards the norm is small fist-sized patterns.

I'd pattern mine with the load I wanted to use at ten, fifteen, and twenty-five yards and see how it stacks up before spending a bunch of money.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 01-31-19 at 13:28.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I have shot many thousand max dram rounds through ported and unported shotguns. IMO.. all ports do is make them louder. Long cones and backboreing improves the patterns by minimizing shot deformation. The chokes are usually supplied by whoever bores the barrel. That's why most of get better patterns shooting buckshot through cylinder choke (no choke) barrels. Gun fit is the best way to reduce felt recoil.
    Last edited by GH41; 01-31-19 at 14:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Saw a few mentions that Flite Control wads will produce patterns similar to what a Vang Comp shotgun does with standard buck shot.

Going to add that if true on patterns being equal, I assume that is beyond 10 yards.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...kshot-Patterns
    Last edited by jsbhike; 01-31-19 at 18:30.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Found a smith that specializes in shotguns . going to reach out to him. Thank you for all the information